Grad gift for my kid Sis...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kid sister is heading off to college this summer. My parents are sending her without a car, so I decided to build her a campus cruiser. Hunted this beast down on CL. Best I can make out, it's a pre-48 (ish) DX.

IMG_1764.jpg

Tore it apart 2 nights ago...everything came apart nicely, and the frame is being stripped as I type this. Thinking a simple gloss black/white combo with something bright for pop. Electroless Nickel or Black Phosphate for all the components, and a custom head badge with her initials will make for the sweetest ride at her school.

I agree, a nice ride. Post up a finished pic.

A good lock will be a good accessory.

Cool bike! where in colorado do you stay at? Im in summit county

Things I learned from having a bike on campus: A good lock is Required, and store inside whenever possible.

Frame and all parts, except the fenders, are blasted.

stripped.jpg

stripped1.jpg

The chain was caked with the black, greasy soot that showed its age, and I'm sure is loved by most everyone on this site except for me :)

IMG_1754-1.jpg

I soaked the chain in a solvent for 2 days, and wire wheeled it to get most of the aged crud off of it. Then I took a polishing wheel and some light abrasive to it to shine it up a bit. Here is a comparison shot after the soak and a third of the way through the polishing process.

chain.jpg

Going to powdercoat frame a simple white then accents in black with a matte clear coat. All the components except the chain ring will be powdered black (chainring will be an oiled black oxide) There are some good dings in the fenders that I don't think I will be able to chase all the way out, so I am painting them in either a zebra or a black and white asian type floral pattern to help disguise.

Wow! Can I be your kid sis? :wink: Seriously good job! :mrgreen:

Wheels are from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse online. Starting at 75 bucks ish. Available in different colors and build packages too (these were 100 with black hubs, spokes, and rim tape).. Pretty good deal imo.

Got most of the assembly done last night...still needs fenders, grips, and accessories.

Sorry for the crumby cell pic...camera battery was dead.

utf-8BSU1BRzAxNTguanBn.jpg

Back