Gotta Vent

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i hate the general public. I know people have the right to change their mind but it really makes me mad when they dont hold up their end of a deal.

Yesterday a 71 yr. old man calls about 25 miles away wants to sell me 2 bikes. In his was he says. Says they are pretty good shape but sat in the shed a few years. A Jamis Boss 5 speed and a Quazar mtn. bike. Says if i dont buy them there going for scrap. We talked twice yesterday negoitated a price and agreed to get this morning. As promised i called him early to say i was en route. What do i get when i call? " Ummm i guess i will just keep em."

I told him if he didnt want to sell them he shouldnt have called. Boy was i mad. Not really disappointed about the bikes but about the way people do. If you arent happy with the price SAY SO OR DONT AGREE TO SELL THEM. At least i got told no before i made the trip. Sometimes i want to reach thru the phone and strangle people.

za37.jpg

wheelhorseman said:
Man i hate the general public. I know people have the right to change their mind but it really makes me mad when they dont hold up their end of a deal.

Yesterday a 71 yr. old man calls about 25 miles away wants to sell me 2 bikes. In his was he says. Says they are pretty good shape but sat in the shed a few years. A Jamis Boss 5 speed and a Quazar mtn. bike. Says if i dont buy them there going for scrap. We talked twice yesterday negoitated a price and agreed to get this morning. As promised i called him early to say i was en route. What do i get when i call? " Ummm i guess i will just keep em."

I told him if he didnt want to sell them he shouldnt have called. Boy was i mad. Not really disappointed about the bikes but about the way people do. If you arent happy with the price SAY SO OR DONT AGREE TO SELL THEM. At least i got told no before i made the trip. Sometimes i want to reach thru the phone and strangle people.

He probably got a better offer than the price you negotiated. Some people are greedy

Yep, happens all the time. Most of the time people realize they are selling to cheap and want to get more for them.

80sbikedude said:
Yep, happens all the time. Most of the time people realize they are selling to cheap and want to get more for them.

Thats exactly what i figured. I know for certain what bikes will fetch around here and he wont get a penny more than we agreed on regardless of brand or condition. If he was lucky and i mean REALLY lucky he might get 10 bucks apiece. This time of year not even that so let the guy keep em. When he dies the family will take them to the dump.

wheelhorseman said:
80sbikedude said:

Thats exactly what i figured. I know for certain what bikes will fetch around here and he wont get a penny more than we agreed on regardless of brand or condition. If he was lucky and i mean REALLY lucky he might get 10 bucks apiece. This time of year not even that so let the guy keep em. When he dies the family will take them to the dump.

Kinda the problem with the price/nego. on the phone less likely to change their mind with cash standing there. I'm with you 100% on showing up as agreed ! Thats a respect thing ! I've been lucky most of the callers when I'm selling that say they are going to be there usually show up . (not at my house at my shop) You should have somebody call him and ask about the bikes he has for sale? :roll:

Peoples "word" means nothing anymore. Our agreement was made around 9am. yesterday so there was plenty of time to notify me of a back out. It burns me up because i had the whole day planned around the bikes. It was the wifes day off so we were going to vote get a little breakfast out and make the little trip. Just as we were leaving the resturant about to gas up the minivan is when i called and told him we were on the way. Thank goodness we didnt get there or get close that would have really ticked me off.

the best is when you get there and they tell you that they have been "doing some research" and now they want more than what they listed it for on CL. :roll:

Some are just testing the waters to see if it's worth anything...no intentions of selling. Gary

I've lost money after promising to ship things out to folks that bought bikes from me on ebay. Why? I figured I gave my word and I have to stick with it. Too bad more people don't feel that way.

I had a dealing with a guy from a craigslist add I posted, first he asks if I still have the bike,"yes, which one are you interested in ?" and I tell him about the bikes I have and possibly others I may sell and parts ect, this goes on for an hour texting back and forth, get to the end of the messaging and he's like can you deliver ? ,,,,100mile round trip for an 80 dollar sale :x :x :x

I run into stuff like this all the time around here. About a week ago I called a guy about a Raleigh, we agreed on $45 for it. He kept blowing me off so I finally got a hold of him yesterday and he told me someone else offered him $50 so if I could go up in my price (that we already said deal on $45) then I could get it. Then of course he tells me people keep calling about it so he must be "sitting on a gold mine". :/

All my bike buys and sells are done in person, face to face. I state "Local Sales, Cash Only" on all my CL sales.

What i cant figure out is why people dont have the guts to say no i wont take that (but agrees to anyway) knowing right then there lying. Or they act interested and go thru the motions to call several times and even get directions knowing they have no intentions of coming. It makes them look stupid to me. STAND UP AND BE A MAN. stop hiding behind a phone. This thread didnt stem from CL but rather an ad i keep in the local pennypaper to buy unwanted bike.

Usaully i get the "whatcha gimme for a...." is the first words i hear after hello and i have no clue as to what it is or cond. Most times good condition means fair to poor.

What i cant figure out is why people dont have the guts to say no i wont take that (but agrees to anyway) knowing right then there lying. Or they act interested and go thru the motions to call several times and even get directions knowing they have no intentions of coming. It makes them look stupid to me. STAND UP AND BE A MAN. stop hiding behind a phone. This thread didnt stem from CL but rather an ad i keep in the local pennypaper to buy unwanted bike.

Usaully i get the "whatcha gimme for a...." is the first words i hear after hello and i have no clue as to what it is or cond. Most times good condition means fair to poor.

WOW :roll:

Latest posts

Back