Got the Ice Bike out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's shear ice with snow on top. Whew! this thing is hard to ride. Sheet metal screws for studs, two heavy duty inner tubes in each wheel (one is a tire liner to keep the sheet metal screws from puncturing the tube) and slime filling. The bike is also a little small for me so with big rubber bottomed snow boots I keep rubbing my boots on the tire. I might have to get electric ski gloves (like $400) as my fingers got very cold with mitts and chemical warmers. It's only 25F out and calm winds so it is going to get a lot colder. My circulation seems to be going as my feet got cold to. Part of the ride was 1.5 miles on an easy mountain bike single track but I lost traction in two places and had to push. Fun, but I wish it was a little easier to pedal. 10 miles is going to be a challenge for me on this bike. After the trails are groomed I can single track ride my fat bike, but in the meantime I am stuck with the Giant Medicine Ice Bike.
IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

The brakes need adjusting so I have it thawing by the fire. Too cold in the shop. A job for tomorrow.
IMG_0819.JPG

image.jpeg
It's shear ice with snow on top. Whew! this thing is hard to ride. Sheet metal screws for studs, two heavy duty inner tubes in each wheel (one is a tire liner to keep the sheet metal screws from puncturing the tube) and slime filling. The bike is also a little small for me so with big rubber bottomed snow boots I keep rubbing my boots on the tire. I might have to get electric ski gloves (like $400) as my fingers got very cold with mitts and chemical warmers. It's only 25F out and calm winds so it is going to get a lot colder. My circulation seems to be going as my feet got cold to. Part of the ride was 1.5 miles on an easy mountain bike single track but I lost traction in two places and had to push. Fun, but I wish it was a little easier to pedal. 10 miles is going to be a challenge for me on this bike. After the trails are groomed I can single track ride my fat bike, but in the meantime I am stuck with the Giant Medicine Ice Bike.
View attachment 38935
View attachment 38936
The brakes need adjusting so I have it thawing by the fire. Too cold in the shop. A job for tomorrow.
View attachment 38937[/QUOte.
Got the studded tires ready just in case I need them....usually run my regular tires all year long even in the snow as long as the trails are packed down and the temps are cold!

View attachment 38963 Got my studded tires ready just in case I need them. Usually run my regular 2.3's all year long including in snow when the trails are packed and firm!

REAL ONES, YOUR LUCKY. I have a set of real ones (don't recall the brand off hand) that I pulled off a bike someone gave me. The studs are a little worn but I plan to mount them up tomorrow and ride them on the ice to see how well they work. They sure would be lighter than my homemade jobs. I used to ride my bikes with 2.3 on the trails when they got firm but I really got hassled. Even the LB shops yelled at me for messing up their trails. I don't do that now but they are walked on all winter and so bumpy from frozen foot prints that my riding would not make a difference. The fat bikers are encouraging all the hikers to use snowshoes but then they bring dogs which makes the trail bumpy and smeary. I gave up and got a fat bike but I really don't see their problem. You can't ride a 2.3 if it's soft where you would do real damage and when it is hard who can't tell you were there, unless thy catch you and give you grief. Dah!

Last edited:
The only trail users complaining about riding on the snow covered trails here would be the cross country skiers. They can ski anywhere....just stay off the single tracks!
No Snow Here yet In Nova Scotia Canada but it's Coming Soon . Too Soon . 59°F all day today but Flurries or rain showers forecast for this Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Snow Here yet In Nova Scotia Canada but it's Coming Soon . Too Soon . 59°F all day today but Flurries or rain showers forecast for this Saturday.
No hurry for snow to arrive here. It has snowed in western Massachusetts but we along the coast missed it! High temps this week in upper 30's-low 40's.

No hurry for snow to arrive here. It has snowed in western Massachusetts but we along the coast missed it! High temps this week in upper 30's-low 40's.

We have about 3 - 6 inches of slush, depending how far from L. Superior you are. It has warmed up here too. Right now it is 32F and they are expecting rain snow mix through Saturday. Then it is going to warm up into the 40s F with above freezing at night. I usually go for an ice bike ride on Thanksgiving but this year there is no ice. Saturday is a big group fat bike single track ride/party, which should be interesting.

Back