Good Spray Paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i've tried rustoleum and got bad results then i tried krylon and and the results werent much better. so what kind of spray paint do you guys use? it seems like i run into problems every time i use a gloss spray paint.

I've had my best results with Rustoleum :wink: For example...
030.jpg

Rustoleum spray enamel always goes on easily for me. The only times I had problems was when the frame and paint were different temperatures, or it was below 65 outside.

I love using Rustoleum enamel. The colors are limited but i have had great results. In fact, I have used the smoke gray now for my last 2 builds.

A good paint job starts with good prep. I use Krylon and get excellent results. It takes a little patience and practice to get it right. How do you prep the parts to be painted? Are you using the same brand of primer as the paint? Are you using primer at all? :p
Tell us more and we can probably help you. I'm just "good" but there are some really super painters on this forum. Gary

I have had bad results with all acrylic enamels. Like you I have the most trouble with gloss paint. Recoats seem to wrinkle the previous coat no matter how much time you wait in between. So now I usually use laquer in spray cans like you find in auto parts stores. It's a bit more expensive but I save paint by not having to sand the wrinkled paint and recoat time after time. I finish by putting Duplicolor clear laquer in my sprayer and adding a hardener designed for laquer. The harder clear is what protects that fragile spray-can finish.

B607 said:
A good paint job starts with good prep. I use Krylon and get excellent results. It takes a little patience and practice to get it right. How do you prep the parts to be painted? Are you using the same brand of primer as the paint? Are you using primer at all? :p
Tell us more and we can probably help you. I'm just "good" but there are some really super painters on this forum. Gary
i stripped all the old paint with aircraft stripper, then primed it with rust-oleum ultra cover, after that i wet sanded with 600 grit paper, then used rust-oleum gloss enamel to paint with and it left cracks in the bends of the forks.

If you can avoid it I would recommend not stripping off original paint off. If you scuff it up with some 100 grit or something like that it actually makes for a better base coat than most rattle can primers.

just my 2cents, also I tend to stay away from rustoleum since it takes much longer to dry but when it does, leaves a nice hard finish.

Back