Good Goodwill Find???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this bike at Goodwill today. It was cheap and my plan was to chop it for parts/steel but before I get the cut off out I thought I should run it by some of you who know bmx bikes. It's a Schwinn that has been painted. Could not find any numbers, probably not looking in the right place or the paint covered them up. Is this a good candidate for the chop block?
I am also including photos of another bike I picked up last week. I don't think the crank or the rims are original Don't know anything about Fishers any info would be great. I am not planning chopping this one up. Thanks for the help, this site is great!
schwinnbmx.jpg

schwinnheadbadge.jpg

fishersideview.jpg

fisherheadbadge.jpg

As far as the Schwinn goes the rims are probably worth more than the bike. I'd chop it. The other one nice find, I have never heard of Fishers either other than Fishers, Indiana. :lol:

What kind of hub is in the back wheel? ( Bendix, New Departure, Sturmey Archer, Shimano) That could help identify where it was made if the wheels are original.

Thanks for all the feedback.

After doing some paint removal I came up with the serial number on the Schwinn; YO103256. Number was located on bottom of the crank, probably is still a chop but just wanted to make sure.

Also found a number below the crank on the Fisher, 056296. The brake also says Mattatuck, USA. Don't know if that sheds any light on anything but I thought it maybe worth a try.

Thanks

Well the Mattatuck hub was made by New Departure in Bristol, Conn. They were one of the top of the line hubs back in the day and were fairly common.

Back