Good bike for a comfortable ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for my father ( a mid 60's male ) he wants something old or old appearing that is comfortable for him to ride no more than 5 miles at a time. My first guess was schwinn manta ray circa 71, but I told him i'd get some varying opinions.

In my opinion any old frame will do the comfortable factor comes from a good seat and a good handlebar and there is nothing more comfortable than a BMX style handlebar. Springer fork helps too.

The newer cruisers with aluminum frames make for a easy ride. If he's in his mid 60's, a lighter bike would be a big plus. I've fixed up a couple of Mango Toucans, they are long and light, like my Dyno. I can ride all day when it's comfortable and lightweight. I also like the Trek Pure, and there's a couple other crank forward style bikes like that, great to ride, but they aren't that stylish.

CarolinaGuy said:
My first guess was schwinn manta ray circa 71, but I told him i'd get some varying opinions.

Why would you want to put him onto an older, heavier bike with age old geometry, and a single speed? If you're looking for comfort, with a old/vintage look, consider a newer version (with forward crank) Electra Super Deluxe, or even a Coaster 3i. IMO, these would be more comfortable for him, and much easier to get around on, then most vintage single speeds, especially a heavy Schwinn.

What you should really do is take him to some bike shops, and let him try some different style bikes, and let him decide what feels right. If a bike doesn't feel right to someone, they may loose the desire to ride it.

Latest posts

Back