gonna call it destiny(new paint 4.30)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres alot of perks to flat black high heat bbq paint.
it dries superfast. i assembled the bike hours after painting it.
if you scratch the bike, a quick touch up blends right into the old paint.
and of course flat black is my fav color/finish.
so heres the bike a few hours after paint.
IMG_4869.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

i'm still searching for a new crank.

hey extra blaze, what do ya think about blacking out the rims?

i'm on the fence, and just can't decide. i'm gonna pinstripe the bike, and i've thought about doing some art/striping/logo etc on the rear tire.

do ya think flat/gloss black rims would be alittle much?

Go for the gloss on the rimz, you already have a glossy headlight and bell, it will help tie them together. Seems to me that the bag just don't look right on the fork man, throws off the look of the springer too much. :?
Mounting it under the seat above the fender would probably interfere with your legs when pedaling right? How about suspending it under the tank insert, lengthwise, parallel to the frame tube and tank insert? :)
Just my 2 cents
Rick

I'm not a fan of totally blacked out stuff.I like it the way it is but if you wanted to bring some black to the rims I'd go with black spokes or maybe do a stripe down the center of the rim and leave the sides chrome.Just my two cents,whatever you do do what you like. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

well the idea of painted rims has brought forth alot of new changes.

i wasn't sure if i really wanted a blacked out bike, but i was open to the idea.
i figured instead of painting the rims on the bike, i'd paint another set of alum mountain bike rims i have laced with a sturmey hub, throw em on the bike and see how it looks. well i just love it! so much i decided to keep them on this build.

so new paint meant a 3 speed bike. :) the shifter is a cheap nos. $20 suntour. i added the gold eightball and did alittle file work down the spine. i'll have to pick up a cable.
IMG_4889.jpg

3 speed bike, means no brakes.(was a coaster) i have an extra long reach brake that would work, but i figure it will wear the flat black paint from the rims in no time at all.
i'm not sure who did this first, or who to give credit to, but a genius here on rrb used a coaster brake on the front wheel.
i'm gonna try and do the same. i have to mount a return spring, and build a lever to operate the brake, but heres the basic idea (any thoughts would be greatly appreciated)
IMG_4885-1.jpg

front coaster brake meant i had to ditch the pouch and speedo. (i purchased the tote to use on all my bikes as a drink holder, so it won't go to waste)
with all the changes i also decided it looked better with a 3" on the front also.
i'm using my kustom kruiser fireballs now. the writing on the sides help break up all the black, but the flame tread pattern also lends itself well to this build.
this bikes gone through alot of changes over the past couple weeks, but i think i've finally found a set up i'm truely happy with.
i also found this old motorcycle extinguiser in the basement. i'm almost positive it will find its way into this build.
IMG_4886-1.jpg

sure has come along way from the bike with the holes in the frame, that showed up at my door, although i think a name change is in order. it wasn't quick or easy. :)

IMG_4539.jpg
]
IMG_4883-1.jpg

I recall seeing an old heavy years ago, instead of a sprock it had an arm with a hole and a rod. It didn't appear to custom made, I think some were actually manufactured that way.

Looks good,man.The black rims definitly work with thoose tires and there is so much trick stuff on it the black isn't overwhelming.Every move is in the right direction.Awesome job. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thx, i can see this bike is going to get alot of riding time, its quickly becoming one of my fav.'s.
i still need to find a crank. its worn so bad, that the pin will pass right through the hole in the crank arm (even new ones)
it works if i put the pin in upside down, but then the crank arms are off set. (solid, but screwy.lol) i'm sure a spot of weld will correct the problem, but its not my fav sprocket.
i did manage to find an old set of odysey shark bites. i dig these shin chewing monsters. much the same as the old bear traps i used to have on all my bmx.
IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

deorman said:
Seems to me you've put enough work into that sweet puppy to drop dime on a cotterless crank set. :wink:

make ya a deal, find one that will fit and i'll spring for it :)

couple outside pic's, i can't wait to finish this build. i'm dying to take her out for a night on the town. :)
IMG_4923-1.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

GREAT bike!....Would've made a fantastic build off bike!.......Don't take offense...They're all nice...But I like this better than any of your "Burrito" bikes. Just my opinion. :wink:

to each there own bud, i don't ever take offence. :) i had a great time building this bike and i really dig it. the burrito's on the other hand are all about fun, and around here we have lots of it! :) i'd like to start a club here in town so i often invite the friends over to drag out the bikes.
only problem is, i don't have enough lowriders and theres always a to-do about who gets to ride em. :) i imagen this will change some opinions about which is the coolest bike, and who gets to ride what.

spent some time on the bike this evening and got a fair amount accomplised.
i mounted the old motorcycle fire extinguiser and a lucky number 13.
IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

shifters all hooked up and working like a champ. i fed the cable though the frame.
IMG_0078.jpg

i did come up with a working prototype for the front coaster.
now it accured to me, with the springer front end, the distance between the bars and axel changes. (which means a loose chain) the last thing i want is to end up with a loose chain in my front wheel. :)

for this reason i decided on a front fork mounted suicide brake (its not for the faint of heart. lol )
it turned out surprizingly well. i need a longer fork bolt to allow spacing for extra washers/nuts, but here's the working prototype.
i used 1/2 an old cast door pull as the stick itself.
IMG_4897-2.jpg

i threw on the walmart skull shift knob for now, but i'll probably end up carving something outta wood to go with the rest of the bike.
IMG_0069.jpg

once i have the longer bolt/washers etc it will require a stop for the return position.
so basicly, pull the lever, the chain turns the sprocket to engage the brake. it also stretches out the return spring. let go and the spring returns everything to its original position.
IMG_0071.jpg

fully ajustable. for quicker response/stronger brake, i stretch out the spring and advace the sprocket 1 tooth counter clockwise. vise versa for slower response/weaker brake.
i kept the stick short to prevent too much leverage. last thing i want to do is end up going head over heals.
all in all i got say the suicide brake worked out quite nicely.
IMG_0076.jpg

i'm stoked! i'll hit the hardware store tomorrow and this should be a done deal!

Back