GOLDMEMBER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
My latest conglomeration.

Frame is a 24" Schwinn DX(?) that i picked up in primer. I noticed some vise marks on the rear stays and figured it had been tweaked a bit. further inspection showed some wear on the seat stay from a tire. After some frame alignment i fould that while the rear drop outs were in line that the upper parts of the seat stays were a 1/2" out, this thing probably got run over or something.
DSCN0790.jpg

damage on stays:
DSCN0816.jpg

Sorry i didn't take any photos of the cutting and welding, basically just cut out the original stays, and then removed a set from a Jazz Vertical MTB (in florescent orange). After a bunch of measuring and doublechecking, tacked them in place. To make it strong i drilled pairs of holes at the axle end of the stays, inserted a cut off bolt that just fit and plug welded. This gave me some extra material to weld to the sides of the drop outs. For the finishing touch, i cut off the round ends from the original stays and attached to the new ones. A bit of grinding and paint and here you go:
DSCN0079.jpg

Rear super skidding action to be supplied by Magura Hydraulics!

Thanks GS!

I've got Kenda Krusaders on the way (better hurry if you want a pair, they only have 50 something in stock!) Shold see them by tuesday, maybe. Picking up a stem today at the LBS. Proper seat is sill at large :(

looks good! can hardly tell you did anything. :wink:

Thanks Stretch, Just got a shorty threadless stem and the vinyl lettering. just a bit of fork cutting and i should be able to get it on the floor. Hoping for some good progress tonight after fireworks.

I've got more conversion issues now, I need to make a 1" threadless headset work in order to use this fork but the headtube on the DX is 31.8mm, so it's oversize for current technology. I toyed with the using a different fork but i only have 2 24" forks and neither one of them is very inspiring. I could also shorten the drop outs on a 26" moutain fork and add some fake truss rods but that doesn't fit the look either. Hmmmm, maybe its time to cut down the stock steerer tube and weld on a threaded end. That might just be the easiest and least expensive alternative......

So it looks like i will splice the steerer tube sometime over the next couple of days, new Kenda Krusaders should be arriving today, i've got the new Goldmember decals. So i'm pretty much set.....EXCEPT I've got nowhere to sit! Someone's got to have a suitable seat kicking around to trade me??? :?

So the steerer tube has been cut and spliced with a threaded end. Just a note for anyone doing this to one of these chopper type forks, the steerer tube on mine tapered on the inside making it very difficult to sleeve.

The Kenda Krusaders came in last night. They look great! The rear just clears the seat stays by about 2mm each side.

I'll be cutting down the fork legs today, the will probably tear the whole thing down for some paint touch up. I may have found a seat but not definite yet. The seating position feels like a banana would be right but I think I'll do a laid back seat post instead. We'll see.

Latest posts

Back