Girls 1930s Mead Ranger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I picked up this '30s Mead Ranger from CL this weekend. It was very reasonably priced, and I've been looking for a skiptooth donor bike for a future build. I plan on either 1) putting all of the parts onto a scratch built frame, or 2) making this a flipped bike.

Hi Deven-
I'm afraid that your headbadge appears to have been changed at some point in this bikes life. Would you be kind enough to post the serial number and any other markings from the underneath the bottom bracket, to help with further identification of this bike?

LarzBahrs said:
Nice! Was that the one from folsom? I was contemplating grabing that but didnt want to pay the gas lol

Yeah Lawrence, that was the guy.

Dave marko said:
Hi Deven-
I'm afraid that your headbadge appears to have been changed at some point in this bikes life. Would you be kind enough to post the serial number and any other markings from the underneath the bottom bracket, to help with further identification of this bike?

Hmm. I'll take a look, and post the numbers if it has some.

dragnusa said:
Looks more like a hawthorne frame from the 40s or early 50s

Hawthorne was never a bike manufacturer. This is a post war Cleveland Welding bike rebadged with a Mead badge. The serial number will help pin down the year.

ohdeebee said:
dragnusa said:

Hawthorne was never a bike manufacturer. This is a post war Cleveland Welding bike rebadged with a Mead badge. The serial number will help pin down the year.

Post war? Hmm. It has rear facing dropouts with adjustment screws, so I figured the guy had at least the decade right.

deven_science said:
ohdeebee said:
dragnusa said:

Post war? Hmm. It has rear facing dropouts with adjustment screws, so I figured the guy had at least the decade right.

CWC used the adjustment screws into the 1950s.

ohdeebee said:
CWC used the adjustment screws into the 1950s.

+1 postwar CWC. The braces point towards '46-47. Since it had vertical holes for the badge in the frame, it was likely a Roadmaster house badge of some sort.

I think Mead badges all had horizontal mounting screws too, so yours probably has two on the right and left and then two homemade ones top and bottom?

ohdeebee said:
dragnusa said:

I know Hawthorne wasnt a bike manufacturer. Was just giving a better idea of what it was most likely badged as and the year from the markings and the fender braces

Back