Giant help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_3814.jpg
IMG_3815.jpg
IMG_3816.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg
IMG_3820.jpg
IMG_3821.jpg
I was given this Talon 4 bicycle by a customer and to be honest I have no idea what to do with it. Is this a desirable bike? Sorry I did not get any full shots of it I can later. No front wheel. I would invest in a front wheel and ride it and eventually sell it if it has any value. Any help with this bike is much appreciated.

Well it is a Giant, so I think that some time in the future it may be seen as a desirable bike to restore. It looks in relatively nice condition, so if you can find an acceptable and cheap front wheel you should make a little money off of it and give someone a half decent bike to use.

My opinion is decent quality used bike is worth more parted out than it is put together. But, I doubt turning a profit is your only motivation.

It looks like an aluminum frame. Start by inspecting the frame and fork. If the frame is bent or cracked it is trash. I would pay close attention to the fork. The missing front wheel might be a clue that it was wrecked.

If the frame and fork are solid, then yes, it looks like a great bike to tune up.

I am also interested in the antique bikes in the background!

I pay retail prices for parts. My quick estimate of parts to bring it back.

Tires and tubes - $75
Front wheel -$50
Chain - $18
Saddle and seat tube - $70
Misc(cables, BB, shifter) -$35-50

$250ish. It adds up fast. In perfect shape I think it could sell for $300+ Might take a while. It’s an XL frame. My experience selling bikes is tall and larger guys have less to choose from and also seem more willing to pay for quality strong products.

The missing front wheel might be a clue that it was wrecked.
I believe the previous owner had it on a trainer that required the fork to be mounted to a stand but not sure. I will certainly give it a through inspection. I would considering holding on to it for at least the summer. I have many classic bikes, in the one photo you can see the tail end of my red 1946 Shelby Traveler and the white one is my 1951 Huffman.
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_1995.jpg
IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1997.jpg

I think you may be able to make a couple bucks, but by my standards, It isn't very desirable, but that's just me...
Tuned and in riding condition, it would be a good beginner bike for a lucky kid...a TALL lucky kid!
Good Luck, Paul! You have a chance to do something really cool for someone!

@twojs.bike @Otto (Spelled Backwards) what makes it a XL the length of the seat tube?
The measurement from the center of the crank/BB shell to the top of the the seat tube...companies labeling of SM, Med,L,XL may vary, but most mediums are about 18-19"...L,20-21" XL is anything larger that that...maybe 21-23" from BB/crank center to seat tube top

images.png

It's a Giant, so you're correct in assuming that it's going to be better than what you'd find at Walmart. However, Talon 4 is a lower spec model so keep that in mind when rebuilding, you're not in the same market as a pro level MTB, but higher than the basic junk. The acera derailleurs will probably work fine, but they're not of a level to be desirable enough that there would be money in parting it out. Your plan for a basic buildup seems about right, don't go off the deep end, and you might make a few bucks, and learn stuff on the way.

It's a Giant, so you're correct in assuming that it's going to be better than what you'd find at Walmart. However, Talon 4 is a lower spec model so keep that in mind when rebuilding, you're not in the same market as a pro level MTB, but higher than the basic junk. The acera derailleurs will probably work fine, but they're not of a level to be desirable enough that there would be money in parting it out. Your plan for a basic buildup seems about right, don't go off the deep end, and you might make a few bucks, and learn stuff on the way.
I agree

what makes it a XL the length of the seat tube?
More than just the seatpost, a well designed bike will have a lot of differences across the spec sheet. The seatpost used to be how it was conveyed and measured, but here's a random bike sizing chart, you can see where various dimensions are different across the line
fat_geometry1.jpg

Latest posts

Back