Getting ready to start a build...lots of questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build a Ruff Hard Time XL or Tango.
I'm 6'5'' and 225lbs so I'm looking for something I can ride and be comfortable. But I don't plan on riding miles and miles on it so definitely going to put looks over comfort...like my Harley.

1.Any comments on the 2 frames listed?

With the 2 frames listed it looks like they are made for a 26" rear wheel and can have a 29" front wheel, this is the set-up I want to run.
I assume it is the forks that determines if I can run a 26'' or 29" front wheel and seen 2 different sizes listed (600mm & 900mm).

2.Do I need the 900mm fork to run a 29" front wheel?

I see a lot of the Ruff and big tire bikes have 3 speeds on up. I live in a somewhat hilly division in Arizona, but I was able to get around on a 29" Big Ripper comfortably.

3.Is 3 speeds on up worth it and if so what do you recommend?

I been looking into this for over a month and the 1 thing that has made me hesitant to start already is the wheels/tires.
I'm looking for a 26'' rear and a 29" front. I don't want a super fat tire in the rear and I want the front to be just a step down in size from the rear. I have not seen where to get these, even if I can just get the hoops I would like to try my hand at lacing them. I am looking for both to be polished/chrome. It is mostly the 29" that is giving me grief in my search, I could get by with front and rear 26" if I have to.

4.Where do I find wheels and what do you recommend for size?

5. Any links to shops with parts?

6.Any recommendations on tools or anything else to get to get started?

These are just a few questions to get me started.
I don't mind buying special tools.
I plan on doing everything but powder coating.
I definitely will start a build thread.

Thanks

If you live in a hilly area and this will be a heavier bike than the ripper, then yeah you might want to go with a 3 speed. I live in a moderately hilly area & 3 speeds are great. Still have to get off my 3 speed and walk up the final hill home, it's too steep for me lol.

On rims...planetbmx.com has SE Racing 29" an 26" rims in various anodized colors for $40ea., they should match...but, are both 1.75" wide. Wide and skinny tires on the same width rims should get you the stagger you want, however. The also have fat 26" rims (2.3"+ width), but they have the SE bubble cut outs.

Welcome to RRB!
Jason

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go with a 3speed.

The SE Racing 29" and 26" wheels are too skinny and not a fan of the bubble cut outs.

I'm starting to see that this is not going to be an easy task since most parts if I do find them are not instock and some of the others are just impossible to find. Seen all kinds of bikes on the web but no specs of the parts they used.

I'm going to make a few calls to a couple of shops that sell ruff bikes in the states and see if they have parts to get this started.

Herb

Welcome! These 2 frames are the ones you mentioned. They don't come with forks? I'd order the 29er forks if that's how they do it.
483124329.jpg

ruff-cycles-frame-tango-v3-2.jpg

I just changed to a 3 speed on my old bike. It works great! I read where someone put a smaller chain wheel so they had very low, low, and normal gearing. I might try that because I hardly ever cruise in high gear.
DSCI0031.JPG

The 29" wheel may fit the 26" forks, depending on the forks and the diameter of your 29" tire. The only way to be sure would be to actually try it and then change out the forks if they aren't large enough.
Check your local craigslist for parts or even whole bikes that are going for cheap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back