Gentle Cleaning Saving Patina?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm brand new to restoring an old bike, and I really want to keep this one as original as I can:

39656352528_large.jpg

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29430

I'd like to safely remove grease and dirt with out harming the paint/finish and properly lubricate everything.

There are "oilers" for the 3 speed hub and the front hub, what weight of oil should I use?

I know that my dad always cleaned bikes with kerosene, but I want to make sure that is a safe cleaner.

Thanks!

I would use somthing like "muc off" not sure if its available over that side of the pond, its a bike cleaner that will remove oil and muck without touching the paint etc. There must be something available over there. To clean the chrome/alloy a VERY mild abrasive would get through rust/corrosion without damaging the ssurface, or even wire wool - the least abrasive. Ive used toothpaste in the past (!!) bike smells minty too!

Then Id polish with a good auto polish.............................

Lube - Id use 3in1 oil - again not sue if you have it there, but its a light machine oil.

Good Luck!! Nice bike there..........

Paul

I'd recommend against 3-in-1 in the hub, it has adhesive properties, and collects condensation and dust. Motor oil is ok, or gun oil, but not Hoppe's. Same drawbacks as 3-in-1.

For paint use Maas polish :wink: On my bikes they look brand new when I use it :p

Best lube I have found for the 3 speed hubs is 2 stroke engine oil like what you'd use for weed eaters or mopeds, perfect consistency, and works great. Also has additives that clean the parts. works great to quiet free wheels too.

Latest posts

Back