Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's yet another Wal-Mart bought, Genisis Onyx 29r Conversion. Thanks to the others who have posted their Onyx 29r photos, as I got inspiration from your ideas for my ride.

Modifications I made: removed stickers, steel wool buffed the frame to take off the high gloss finish, flipped and shortened original bars, cropped rear fender, added imitation Brooks saddle, added vintage head and taillight, added faux tank/wooden panel, painted pedals black, added analog speedometer, added bullet valve covers. What do you think?

Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion 1 by JaySeaAre, on Flickr

That's AWSOME! I'm so happy that Walmart doesn't have these instock when I go in, because I'm sure I'd have to buy one.

Cool!
I bought one of these unassembled, it's just hanging out till I get to out.

The Slam song is stuck in my head because of this thread (Song by the group Onyx) Still digging the bike though, "Just SLAAAAM Da Da Da, let the boys be boys"...

JaySeaAre said:
Here's yet another Wal-Mart bought, Genisis Onyx 29r Conversion. Thanks to the others who have posted their Onyx 29r photos, as I got inspiration from your ideas for my ride.

Modifications I made: removed stickers, steel wool buffed the frame to take off the high gloss finish, flipped and shortened original bars, cropped rear fender, added imitation Brooks saddle, added vintage head and taillight, added faux tank/wooden panel, painted pedals black, added analog speedometer, added bullet valve covers. What do you think?

Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion 1 by JaySeaAre, on Flickr

How did you remove the decals? aren't they under the paint?

chepe13 said:
Cool!
I bought one of these unassembled, it's just hanging out till I get to out.

This bike and your post inspired me to do the same. I did peak in the box, the spokes are way out of tension. The crank arms feel like they are cast steel.

OH and the decals don't look clear coated to me.

Thanks for the compliments. About the decal removal, I softened them with rubbing alcohol and WD40. I tried dry peeling them, but could only get tiny strips off. I had the most success scraping the decals using a single edge razor blade that I bent to conform to the tube curvature like this: (O

I don't know if the decals had clear coat over the top of them, but you could see the less-glossy places where I removed the decals.

Here are two other photos of the bike (one at the bike rack at my work so you can get an idea about the size of this beast) and I'll look for my before-and-after shots that I'll post later.

Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion 5 by JaySeaAre, on Flickr

Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion 3 by JaySeaAre, on Flickr

JaySeaAre said:
Thanks for the compliments. About the decal removal, I softened them with rubbing alcohol and WD40. I tried dry peeling them, but could only get tiny strips off. I had the most success scraping the decals using a single edge razor blade that I bent to conform to the tube curvature like this: (O

I don't know if the decals had clear coat over the top of them, but you could see the less-glossy places where I removed the decals.

Here are two other photos of the bike (one at the bike rack at my work so you can get an idea about the size of this beast) and I'll look for my before-and-after shots that I'll post later.

r
Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion 5 by JaySeaAre, on Flickr

Genisis Onyx 29r Retro Conversion 3 by JaySeaAre, on Flickr

These bikes are so cool. I can't wait to get to work on mine, I have 3 projects going right now though. And I'm in the middle of moving. I might have to barrow that speedo idea. 8)

Back