Generator headlights

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone converted a generator style headlight to battery powered? I have a complete generator headlight and tail light set that is going to be really hard to mount on my chopper. There just isn't a good spot to mount the generator and the hardware wasn't mad for those larger diameter rear drop out tubes.

Is there anyway to just put a battery in the light and run the headlight that way?

You should be able to buy a battery holder at Radio Shack for whatever size will fit in the light. Go with the largest you can squeeze in there, like a pair of "C" size. You will need to change the bulbs to match the voltage of the batteries you choose.

I've done a bunch of stuff like that, usually I replace the bulb with an LED flashlight replacement light, then use a AA battery holder from Radio Shack

Here's one in a headlight, wasn't a generator light but converted it from a oddball 9V cell, got rid of the rotary switch and put in a paddle switch, used a standoff screw thru one of of the old rivets on the mounting bracket. Could do that same thing on a generator light.

IMG_0843.jpg

Here's a gen headlight I haven't gotten to but same procedure, will use the wire screw for the mounting screw hole, you can see it below the battery holder on the outside of light, plenty of room inside.

IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg

Here's a generator tailight, with LED and mounted a microswitch in the top of the battery compartment then used a conduit mounting bracket where the generator used to be. Way brighter than original.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Don't have the need for turn signals, but I think you could do something similar using a DPDT switch with a center off position and bring out separate switched power leads. One problem would be the wire bundle, maybe hack a thumb switch from a junker motorcycle probably would have everything you need, Still need to clean up my taillight, did that real quick for the Chopadera ride in case it went after dark wires look kinda messy.

I just did a conversion this weekend that took all of 5 minutes. I was walking through the local Zellers hardware dep't when I spotted a 3 pack of stick-up l.e.d. lights. My finely callibrated eyeball told me they would be a perfect fit into the headlight pot.
I got them home, dismantled one, trimmed off a little excess plastic, and bam!, instant 5 l.e.d. headlight.
The specific type I bought are called lightmates, the on/off switch is a small circle inside the larger lens itself, no switch wiring needed. They have 2 brightness settings, and even came with the batteries.
I'll get pics up soon.
Rick

Back