Gee Bee Tribute Bike *Update 3/15*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Gee Bee Tribute Bike

Lonewolf said:
You set out to restore a bicycle and make it into a fully functional airplane.
You complain of a tedious process. What exactly were you expecting?
Well I do come from the plug and play generation of instant gratification ...i guess that shows once in a while :roll:

Last mockup before [more] paint flies! The frame paint is still soft so I had to be extra careful with it, i just couldnt put this off any longer. I know the wave in the fenders is going to bug me but there is no other solution. I managed to get both fender tips 9" to the ground, even with the front forks being "fudged" into correct alignment.

I must say even with all the seemingly endless tedium and setbacks, I am REALLY liking the look of this bike! I'm very glad that inspiration struck me when it did, lets just hope I have enough courage to actually ride it! and Thanks for the continued encouragement, it has really helped keep me motivated!
100_4060.jpg

I have so say, I am likening your build. I think the inspiration and your mockups look great and I like the color scheme you are planning. I definitely like the Ducktail Fenders and the Springer. I plan on getting some, (probably Chrome ones) for my Woody build and will also be doing a springer front end. If when I install my springer I end up with it being too far forward, I will have to employ the suggestion you got from "mikek" of putting in a spacer. Keep it going.

Walker said:
Maybe shorten up the fender stays to get the wave out?
Unfortunately the wave is there because I had to narrow up the fender to fit it inside the frame. Kinda wish I had started with a ballooner frame instead of a middleweight frame ...but hindsight is something, something... :wink:

Primer is drying on the fenders and tank as we speak, unfortunately my camera is refusing to work... maybe it will start cooperating again soon? I also hammered in the new BB cups, making the frame fully ready to be assembled! I could have it rideable while I do the paint on the tins, but I kind of want to use the time to go nuts on the other parts and make everything perfect... :roll: This build might get done eventually ...maybe!

badmuller said:
... I'd rather see it get done nice and detailed than rushed and "crash'n'burn" :wink:
Its no fun without at least a smidge of "crash'n'burn" :lol: I'll keep it to a minimum, I promise.

With a lot of sweet talking and a shiny new battery camera is back up and running! Unfortunately it missed the primer phase so you guys will just have to deal with these bright shiny yellow parts! I am honestly not entirely happy with the color, its a few shades too bright ...but I can live with it. The fenders, tank, and guard all have five coats of yellow and I will leave them to cure up for at least a few days before masking and laying down the black scallops. Notice its not quite mirror smooth... I was debating about polishing, but its a pain, I could screw it up, and its destined for daily riding. so is it really worth the effort? Probably not.
100_4075.jpg

100_4078.jpg

100_4076.jpg

100_4077.jpg

maybe he has passed out from the paint fumes? where did ya go?

Its been a crazy at work and with a few commissions I havnt had much time to work on the bike. But thats fine, I wanted to let the yellow harden up a bit before I masked for the black. I should have some progress to post this weekend ...I hope!

Its offically the weekend and I have some progress to post! I stayed up entirely too late to get this done, but you guys know how it is. Once you start there is no stopping till its done! Masking this piece took a shade over three hours then of course painting and peeling took up another couple. Unfortunately its not perfect (is it ever?) but its nothing that cant be saved ...or overlooked. The small bits of bleed will be covered by the pinstripes and the other blemishes can be carefully polished out. All that said, I'm satisfied with the results, now lets see how bad I can screw up the fenders and tank ...I'll be back with those soon!

Almost looks good in blue and yellow, doesnt it? (they did paint a GeeBee like that btw)
pps-I just noticed the angle of the pic makes the scallops look crooked. I promise it looks better viewed from above, like it will be when mounted.
100_4089.jpg

100_4091.jpg

Its getting there guys. Three pieces down, one to go. I ran out of tape about 2" from the end of the rear fender! lol I'll get more tomorrow and get the front fender done. I'm not sure why but the yellow paint remains very soft, enough that the tape is leaving damaging marks in it. All I can do is hope it cures eventually and the marks polish out. But the good news, I managed only two small bleeds! I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story...

100_4092.jpg

100_4094.jpg

100_4093.jpg

100_4095.jpg

Latest posts

Back