Gday from Australia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going folks? Just thought I'd introduce myself. Im Hewey, Im 25 and live in Sydney Australia. I've been into pushies since I could ride, even raced MTBs cross country for a while. I've always loved old cars too, and old cruiser bikes as part of that. Drooled over cruisers for years until I saw this one cheap on ebay, which was perfectly timed because I had just done a bunch of overtime which paid for it nicely.

IMG_0719.jpg

Unfortunately cheap was the word as I soon found out: :?
bikewheel003.jpg

My bike shop (which doesnt deal with cruisers/lowriders at all, just roadies and MTB) just happened to have a complete brand new Sturmey Archer 7 speed back pedal brake wheel and grip shift shifter gathering dust in their workshop. A bloke had it built up a few years back, baulked at the price and never collected it. To say I got it for a song is an understatement! :D So currently working towards getting it going again so I can clock up some kms on it. For now I just want to get it on the road and ride it, but down the track it'll probably get a custom tank and a cool paint job. Paint job ideas swing between vintage board-tracker inpsired paint, WWII bomber inspired paint, matt black rat rod look with pinstriping, or a full on metalflake/candy/lace paintjob straight from a 60s showcar! Depends what mood Im in at the time...

The things keeping me from messing with my bike include tiki carving, pinstriping, and playing with old cars. My daily driver:
411899.jpg

and my project (getting a tiki/surf theme) to replace the bug as the daily driver. Much more room for hauling around tikis and bikes!
WagonRear.jpg

WagonFront.jpg

I'm a newb too.
Welcome from South Texas.
Sweet Sturmey Archer.

What year is your wagon? (Variant?)
The front clip is very similar to the US made '67-'69 Falcon.

I drive a '59 Bug as my daily.

Thanks for the welcome :D

BLASTER said:
What year is your wagon? (Variant?)
The front clip is very similar to the US made '67-'69 Falcon.

Its a '70 wagon. The first in the series ('67) were based heavily on the US Falcons, became more Aussie influenced with each model. Made em through to '71 in that body style, then went to the XAs (which was the body style used for 'the bronze' in Mad Max :p

Markm said:
Ive never seen a rim do that!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Neither had I! :shock: i was riding bare foot at the time, had just washed it and was taking it for a quick spin to knock off some of the water. I was barely rolling and put on the back pedal brake, and the bike splayed sideways underneath me :? Felt like the axle had come out of the chain stays, and the wheel was parting ways. Im just thankful it did it then and not cruising down a hill at speed :shock: Funnily enough, I've never come across anyone else who has seen a bike wheel self-destruct in this manner :lol:

Back