Gazelle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3246.jpeg

Maybe the first few digits were painted over?
xxxK7 8309

That’s on the seat tube.

Putting the rear wheel on was a challenge. I am convinced the rear wheels aren’t intended to be removed.

Just went for a midnight ride. The dynamo headlamp was amazing! Time Machine!

This bike has been a challenge! It’s been in great shape. The only mechanical issue I have found is the front wheel didn’t have a time strip.

I’m guessing someone has already overhauled this.
IMG_3252.jpeg

Got this ball joint separator from Amazon. Used it to press the cotter pins back in. Perfect tool! Much easier than the bench vise.
View attachment 245847
Told ya now when you use it to remove a pin grind the tip flat a bit to stop slipping

Dang! I was really hoping not to have to take that rear wheel off again. Was not easy to get everything back on.

When I had the wheel off I noticed fresh grease on the rear hub, so I decided not to take it apart. Someone has recently serviced this bike. Maybe they screwed up the hub.

Anyways I guess this is part of the fun. Just need to take my time and enjoy it. Funny I sometimes I start to get frustrated and have to remind myself this is all for fun.

Dang! I was really hoping not to have to take that rear wheel off again. Was not easy to get everything back on.

When I had the wheel off I noticed fresh grease on the rear hub, so I decided not to take it apart. Someone has recently serviced this bike. Maybe they screwed up the hub.

Anyways I guess this is part of the fun. Just need to take my time and enjoy it. Funny I sometimes I start to get frustrated and have to remind myself this is all for fun.
It may not be tight enough the teeth side might not be grabbing. Take it apart and see if it's pushing it in

Does this look normal for a Sachs coaster brake?

This doesn't look normal at all. Is this a single speed or 3 speed?
Maybe some pictures from the various stamps on the hub shell would help to identify the model and get a service manual.

Sorry for bombing your thread
It’s all good. I’m glad you all are interested. It looks like these hubs are well documented. It will probably be a few days before I have a chance to dig into it.

I am very hopeful that all the parts are in there and just put together wrong.

I will share what I find.

I got the hub apart and cleaned up. It appears to have all the pieces. I found a few minor issues.

1) circled in lower right is a spacer that is cracked. The spacer sits beside the sprocket. I do not think this was the issue. I do actually have a replacement. Which is great because it justifies all the hoarding of parts a pieces I am guilty of!

2). While there was fresh grease on the outer bearings the inner parts looked to have old grease. There were a few boogers of dried up grease.

3) circled in upper left. Some sort of foreign object. Appears to be a wood chip. No idea how that could have wound up inside the hub. My hopeful theory is this is the cause.

I have some high temp grease and am about to attempt putting this all back together.

IMG_3278.jpeg
IMG_3277.jpeg

Last edited:
Back