Gas engine adaptation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.
I was wondering if there was a gas engine adaptation "tutorial" in this neighbourhood.
Has anyone documented it yet?
I've got an old (how old I cannot tell) water pump with a cool 4 stroke automatic engine that can run on gasoline or petrol (correct spelling? - in Portugal those are different things), and I would really like to use it to motorize a bicycle. Maybe the Fat Man (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32043) or another bike.
The thing is I don't even konw where to start..
Thanks a lot.

No problem :wink: Glad I could help out a fellow rat-rodder :D
Nick 8)

Hi there.

It's not ethanol..
It's the thing we use to clean greased dirty parts... In portugal we call it "petróleo" wich is the same term we use for "oil". Maybe it's querosin or benzin in english..
Here are the pics:

I warn you guys, I'm not sure of what I'm doing here. The first thing will be to take it apart, clean it and get it working... Then we will see.

Just a question:
I've removed the cover, a part that plays a role in the engine cooling (see pics above). Now, since the engine will be moving while working will that part be needed?

Thanks and keep rollin'

stocksucks said:
gasoline or petrol correct spelling? - in Portugal those are different things.
deorman said:

from;
http://fuel.papo-art.com/

he means paraffin, which is known as kerosene in some of the old colonies
oddly, here in england petrol is what you yanks call gasoline.

Looks like it's made to run on kerosene with the two gas caps? You start it on gas then switch over to kero once it warms up.

2manybikes said:
It looks like it was originally water cooled. I would be a little concerned about trying to run it as an air cooled motor.

??? how do you figure?

it is a gas powered water pump. im sure the water flowing through it will have a cooling effect but the engine has its own
cooling via the flywheel/fan same as a lawnmower .

Hey there.
That's correct HubGear, the engine starts runing on gasoline and then, when it's warm, there is a small brass switch beneath the tank which enables you to change the feeding to kerosin, as Cashman said.
By the way, it is an english engine, a Villiers. I'll get a photo for you soon.

As to the cooling issue, the thing is not water-cooled. The fly wheel working inside the cover blows air onto the head, trough a kind of conduit built inside the case.

I'll take a look at that resourse White Trash.

How can I tell the engine's cc capacity and hp? There is a serial number on a side plate...

Thanks a lot.

Latest posts

Back