"FUTURE" (freak) builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Uncle Stretch and Chainsaw got my (sleeping) mind going! Let's use this thread to post what we are planning to build in the FUTURE. In other words "Let's share". We may all pick up some new ideas.
Below are a couple of rough (ugh) plans for what I want to do. HOPEFULLY they'll be ridable, or they'll get cut up. :oops:..... As you can see I'm no artist, but you'll get the idea. So don't be afraid to post YOUR pics or sketches.

First is an old Raleigh I want to stretch, using only Raleigh tubing from a donor bike. NO paint.
scan0001.jpg

Next is a front wheel drive bike (plans, for front, purchased from Robert Horn). Internal 3 speed for front wheel. Rear coaster brake back wheel, with a suicide brake handle. I used a pic of a bike I stretched, so I could get an idea of what to use for dimensions. (hopefully bike will look better then the pic :lol: )
007-10.jpg

C'mon post plans of what you intend on building.

Ok show me bike pics when I'm fixing to get building and I'm liable to use your design. :cry: I think the raliegh bike would be cool. Low and long. I cant draw worth a dang and when I build ,I sorta let the frame design itself. Sometimes if you listen to a build it will talk to you. I do a bunch of what the wife calls t-potting ,where I stick my hands on my hips and just stare at a build. I swear they will talk to you and give you the direction your looking for....sometimes its just fix it where it will work. :lol:

The Raliegh may be "The Next Big Thing"! I love the looks! Stretching out bikes and leaving the rest basically stock looking could be as big as the Burrito craze. (The Burrito is overly done and is getting it's name thrown at every lowered and stretched bike.) Your Raliegh has a simple look that draws the attention of even non biking people. Something they just gotta stand and look at and then ask all kinds of questions. "It's so familiar looking yet there's something different." Definitely put this creature at the top of the to-do list and come up with a great name for this style!

The second bike, I think would be a fun build and a definite blast to ride. The Zombies could give you ideas for this build so check out the A.Z. board. Big Moe from FBN and A.Z. has built a bike or two with this set up but only the trike versions. Fun to ride once you get the hang of them!

This Saturday, Scrappy Ron and Gigs are teaming brain waves to start a new bike. Gigs rode his Goody Two Shoes and fell in love with it (as have most), so it will probably be similar in design. Gigs touches will set the pace with hearts and butterflies in the design and final outcome. I'll try to get the build pics as they go!

Gigs undergoes foot surgery the day before Halloween and I'm gonna try to finally get the "Gimp My Ride" bike put together for her. Got the storage unit straightened out, now it's time to get Freaky! 8)

Hey Unc, I know exactly what you talikng about! I don't mind the bikes talking, but I hate all their name calling! :lol: Anything that I ever post is open for usage! I consider it an honor! :wink:

Uncle Stretch, when I do something chopped up, I take photos, and chop them up first. THEN the bike talks to me. For me I need a visual of some sort, to get started.

Chainsaw,........I was thinking of calling the Raleigh a "crumpet". :roll:

Yeah Kota when I first started I messed with a couple Ralieghs and found their tubing was differant than american bikes and it would slide over other tubing. Works great for stretching.

i'm currently thinking about a slight stretch behind the seatpost for a longtail/cargo-type bike that would accommodate my engine where it would have low center-of-gravity and be out of my way for pedalling:
mtrbike.jpg

my drawing was based roughly on a cruiser, but my donor bikes are junk mountain bike parts. with or without an engine, i'd like to build a slight longtail. maybe a long-ish tail cargo bike.

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah Kota when I first started I messed with a couple Ralieghs and found their tubing was different than american bikes and it would slide over other tubing. Works great for stretching.
I plan on butting the tubes together, then blend the welds, then slide a sleeve, about 2-3 inches, over the (blended) weld. The sleeve would have pre-drilled holes. Then weld where the holes are, and blend. Giving it sort of a lugged look........Well that's the plan anyway!

KOTA said:
Okay, Uncle Stretch and Chainsaw got my (sleeping) mind going! Let's use this thread to post what we are planning to build in the FUTURE.
What, am I chopped liver here? Is this a private thread? I didn't think so. :wink:

Here's my future wanna build. I always wanted to mix my Pug's Hammer Head Trike with my Tour Master. I'd leave the pug out 'cause he's got his own bike.
I've got two Raleigh's set aside for it.
94a.jpg

Ok, if the pug wants in I'll make a plaid side car for my Grunge Rudge. If it makes him happy.
Pug004.jpg

GL

UncleKudzu said:
You're probably like me.............YOU can SEE the finished bike in a rough drawing.....Be prepared for some sleepless nights. :lol:

Hey Grayliver, Uncle Stretch started a thread called "Guilt trip"..................Your bikes always get me thinking!

KOTA said:
Be prepared for some sleepless nights. :lol:

oh yeah, crazy bike ideas kept me up late last night :(

below is more like what i have enough pieces for:
cargo.jpg

it would be a step-through with over-sized tubes from junked mountain bikes. all the changes would take place behind the seatpost of the first bike.

actually, it would be kinda like Graylok's bike but with the seat forward.

Graylock said:
What, am I chopped liver here? Is this a private thread? I didn't think so. :wink:

I love the idea of freakbikes, but all the people who ride in the bike clubs here just ride road bikes. Maybe if I build a freaky enough bike, they'll want to ride with me? I have to admit, the chopper gets a lot of looks... but I look totally weird riding it with a helmet and biking shorts! It begs for tatts and a beard. :mrgreen:

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah Kota when I first started I messed with a couple Ralieghs and found their tubing was differant than american bikes and it would slide over other tubing. Works great for stretching.
That's what made this bike so easy to do. Green = Raleigh. Blue = Schwinn.
swing_bike2-2.jpg

I wish I had a sketch of something I plan on building but my sketching skills are even worse than my chopping and welding skills. I do enjoy chopping and welding none the less and anxious for when I have some time to do it again. I never really have much of a plan when I start.

FunkyStickman said:
I love the idea of freakbikes, but all the people who ride in the bike clubs here just ride road bikes. Maybe if I build a freaky enough bike, they'll want to ride with me? I have to admit, the chopper gets a lot of looks... but I look totally weird riding it with a helmet and biking shorts! It begs for tatts and a beard. :mrgreen:
Gotavan over at FBN rides his tallbike and monster tired chopper with the roadies on some pretty long rides. He even sports the spandex and a helmet.

Yeah and when he feels like really riding, he'll get out his tallbike and ride 300 miles! The man is a machine! The one time we rode 35 miles and during a lunch break he grabbed a hamburger and ate it while riding around the parking lot waiting for the rest of us! Dan is truely a phenominon and a must to ride with or just hang out with! You guys don't even begin to understand the "Gotavan experience"! He once told that everything is an adventure and he made a believer outta me!

aka_locojoe said:
FunkyStickman said:
Gotavan over at FBN rides his tallbike and monster tired chopper with the roadies on some pretty long rides. He even sports the spandex and a helmet.

Freaking awesome. I'll be doing the same this weekend! I cannot wait.

i'm having all kinds of car trouble so everythings on hold for a bit.

more or less just trying to keep going on stuff i'm fooling with already i guess. a side deal, i mean to start weighing my frames. not to set any kind of record, but because i have two lightweight ideas brewing. i want to start weighing what i do so when/if i get to them, i can see if they're really any lighter than my normal beach cruiser stretches.

the bagger project. working out one more idea then bring it to work to strenthen some welds

cut my trike down a bit so i don't need the linked steering.

i really want to try the dragster tire chopper but i have to fugure out how to make a wheel or go ahead and get the plans from atomic zombie

a powered bike. right now i'm thinking electric, but who knows by the time i can actually do it.

a chopper with a 24x4 rear tire. finally got the rim and tire but need a hub and get it spoked before i can keep going

a tandem using a chopper king and queen seat. already done some preliminary eyeballing and i'm kind of stumped already.

a lightweight stretch. i already have a frame in mind. just haven't started yet.

a full on serious (or at least serious looking) recumbent. someone on freakbike made a nice one and i just want to try it myself.

hey, you asked.

Back