Funkliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m in!

First step is to do something about this rust. Might try an OA bath.

IMG_3363.jpeg
IMG_3365.jpeg
IMG_3366.jpeg

Seeking opinions on painting this frame…

The chrome obviously isn’t in the best shape. I do plan to use a little more elbow grease maybe with barkeepers friend and polish to get it a little better.

My color inspiration is coming from Parliament Funkadelic art.

I’m going to build a rear wheel and can use colored rims and spokes. Also plenty of color options with grips pedals etc.

I could either either leave the frame all chrome and try to seal it with a clear coat.

Or

I could mask off some stripes in the best areas and paint the frame with some purple and yellow and reds. The masking would be removed to reveal chrome stripes.

Pics below. I haven’t had much time to work on this yet. Need to order rims and spokes and paint and everything.

Open to any and all suggestions.

If I have time and it is possible, I would also like to recover the banana seat.

IMG_3413.png
IMG_3412.jpeg
IMG_3411.jpeg
IMG_3410.jpeg

The chrome obviously isn’t in the best shape. I do plan to use a little more elbow grease maybe with barkeepers friend and polish to get it a little better.

I’m going to build a rear wheel and can use colored rims and spokes. Also plenty of color options with grips pedals etc.

I could either either leave the frame all chrome and try to seal it with a clear coat.

Or

I could mask off some stripes in the best areas and paint the frame with some purple and yellow and reds. The masking would be removed to reveal chrome stripes.

Pics below. I haven’t had much time to work on this yet. Need to order rims and spokes and paint and everything.

If I have time and it is possible, I would also like to recover the banana seat.

View attachment 247953View attachment 247954View attachment 247955View attachment 247956
WOW, hows the welding....I cant even see it LOL!

Ha. I don’t know. It’s a Murray built frame from roughly 1960. I have a few others and they look the same. I have no idea how they were welded. I agree they don’t look the strongest. Someone else is probably more knowledgeable about them.

Or

View attachment 247953View attachment 247954View attachment 247955View attachment 247956

Bring on the funk

Put some Ron Finch on it

IMG_2035.jpeg

I'd use the purple, yellow and reds to do a splatter paint job, then clear coat it. Not small splatter droplets, but big globs. Those colors would be what the rims, spokes and all could be also.

240380-09-Jul-23-9.jpg

Ha. I don’t know. It’s a Murray built frame from roughly 1960. I have a few others and they look the same. I have no idea how they were welded. I agree they don’t look the strongest. Someone else is probably more knowledgeable about them.
CWC used to advertise their "electronically welded frames" that replaced traditional brazing and claimed to be 100 percent stronger. I'm assuming Murray and others started using the same or similar processes also.
1949_roadmaster_ad.jpg

I found an old thread where @GuitarlCarl dipped a frame. One of the tutorials I saw about dipping a bike frame recommended to mask off the left side of bike and dip the right side, then mask off the right side and dip the left. Curious if Carl or anyone else has an opinion on whether that is necessary.

I am super intrigued by this idea. Quickly falling down the rabbit hole.

How well will metalcast stick to chrome?
I've never dipped metal cast but I'm sure it would work the same I've used it on chrome never had an issue the trick with metalcast is the shine

Back