Fun with Centurions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired this late '80 Centurion from my bro-in-law recently.
It was my sisters and it didn't get ridden much...hanging on a wall for a long time in a dry garage.

100_8084.jpg

Very good condition and quality...chromo tubing....Japanese made.
100_7983.jpg

The pink and the totally rad graphics had to go.
I quickly realized it was too small for me (52cm).
I was able to keep the wheels and do some trades for a mo' bigger Centurion frame (with even better parts).

100_8172.jpg

Mid-early '90s 56cm

100_8176.jpg

100_8182.jpg

Fresh tires (free from a friend), brake lever hoods, handle bar wrap, chain, seat (used), cables, toe-strap pedals....went through it mechanically.
Decided not to paint it.
While it's graphics suck, they don't upset me like the pink one.

This is my first pretty good quality road-bike, even though it's mid-early '90s technology.
This thing hauls butt.
It rides really good.
Quick and quick to stop.
No, I'm not going to go shopping for spandex.
I still prefer the comfort of a fat tire bike, but man, I can blast up to the store and back quicker than a car and not even be winded.

I'd still like to get some cooler wheels for this bike....maybe a shorter stem.

The guy that has the pink bike, has done some cool stuff to it.
I'll post when he's done.

Nice stuff! I know that Centurian made some very nice bikes, but I've yet to find one locally with a paint scheme that didn't offend. On the other hand, they would be a fitting platform to showcase my vintage neon Wham! t-shirt and knitted leg warmers.

I rode a Centurion Elite RS for 5 years. It had the Pollack paint scheme. It was painted white with blue, red and yellow paint splatter all over it. It was stolen off my porch around Christmas 2007. Over the years it was modified. It started out as a 10 speed, but it was regeared as a 16 speed as I wore out the teeth on crank and the free wheel (11 to a 34) in the rear. This helped me for down hill riding. Last spring it got a new crank with triple rings (32/42/52) to make it a 24 speed. This helped with going up hill It had mustache handlebars with bar end shifters. Egg beater peddles, Brooks Saddle and armordillo tires made it a fun bicycle to use. I was doing about 5000 miles a year on it.
No cars....

Latest posts

Back