Front brake on a rat trap springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ride a bike path on the beach all the time and cant stop when someone or another bike crosses in my path, I have 2 accidents in 2 weekends and its only getting busier. yesterday someone from another country that drives on the left drove straight into me! no one got hurt too bad but band-aids were needed, what happens is the rear just locks up and I keep moving forward, its like in slow motion, you can see whats going to happen and cant do a .... thing! so I'm thinking I want to put a Sturmey Archer front drum brake on my bike with the rat trap springer front end. Udall Customs has put a Worksman drum brake on a rat trap springer, but I am wanting a smaller and lighter brake. any ideas or help is truly appreciated, btw I have searched on here for a while and only found UdallsCustombikes post,

Thanks in advance for any help!

There may be a tire size issue to consider also. Here is my not so good experience with hard braking with a rat trap springer. Stock 26" Spaceliner with 26 x 2.125 Duro semi-slick tires stops so well that the weight shift forward compresses the fork crown downward. There is a u shape part of the coil spring pointing down that digs into the front tire tread then and stops the front wheel too. I fabricated snubbers to limit travel of the left and right links to prevent this.

Back