front axle ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so my 66 stingray has a smaller diameter axle/bearings on the front, i wanted to put some "billion" spoked wheels on it, 1) do they make front axles/bearing cups that i can swap out to a new set of wheels ? or 2) do i just need to grind the fork out ? or 3) can i just file the threads off the axle were the fork will mount ? ( and will this cause troubles a million years later to grease the bearings ?? )

opinions and advice welcome !!!

I usually grind the axle on two sides. They are cheaper than ruining a good fork.

I don't see any problems with this unless you take it off any sweet jumps.

thanks, thats wat i figured, just got me thinkin "maybe they make adapters" er somethin, then i thought why not grind the fork that way any axle will fit, ill be filin the axle like i figured in the first place.

Pound it in with a hammer if its just a little to big, and pound out later, Thats what i normally do. Or i file out the forks.

it more than just a little Rickster, usually i go the brute force route too, but i figured the less i tear up the better, axles cheaper than forks so think ill stick with manhandlin the axle :D

I am in the same boat right now...I am rattin' out a '77 Schwinn cantilever frame...ummmmmm...the axle that is on the rims that I have dont fit the forks...I have some old 80's tubular forks that fit....since its a rat I think I will go with those rather that filing anything down, be it axles or forks. Or I can find an old front rim and paint it black! lol

yup, i got a pyramid springer on it right now, i just prefer the schwinn flat steel forks as far as looks go, so theres were my little prob came up, bein as i got the bike without wheels.

Back