front axle conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm turning my 63 Typhoon into a boardtracker (well, kinda), I'm using newer rims that have a larger front axle (I realized it after getting them :roll: ). The bike had a white S-2 rear with a Bendix red band coaster with broken spokes, the front was a rusty unknown ugly rim.

So, should I enlarge the fork dropouts? I'd like to find another S-2 for the front, but am trying to go low budget.

And what's the best way? Drill and file, dremel?

I dremel it out. Some might suggest that you can grind the axle flat on two sides also but I've never tried that..

If it helps, the rims are Weinmann AS7X's I may just keep them (alloy, and look like the S-2 in design). The rear has a Nexus 3 speed internal hub with no shifter and cable, making a single speed.

Even though I am usually a "file the dropouts" guy, some Schwinn forks actually have a larger radius past the opening, so flattening axle sides would actually provide a little extra retention protection if you turn them once they're in. (It'll make sense if your forks are like that.)

i ground the axle on last year's build-off bike, worked awesome. i did just enough on the axle so itd slide in, and made it look like i didnt even do anything. :D

cman said:
I am in the "Grind the axle" club. Forks can be harder to find.

I agree. I put a front hub brake from a moped on my '41 Schwinn springer. I didn't want to grind on a prewar fork so I notched the 11mm axle. Used a Dremel with alum.oxide cutoff wheels. Went slow and it came out real nice. Gary
DSC03588.jpg

Are you sure it's an S-2? Middleweights should have S-7 rims/factory, of course the shorter diameter/wider width S-2 will fit. -Adam

I was under the impression that the wide white rims were S-2's.

i went ahead and filed the fork, I made the decision that these rims were permenant. Thanks everyone.

Back