From the saddle of a 1950 Panther...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently transplanted myself from the state of Vermont to the windy city of Chicago. Well, 'round about July 4th last year, which means less than 12 months ago...so I'd say that is recent. The 1,000 mile move was a bit of an adventure for me and my best bud Steve, and it was made even more interesting with the addition of 1974 Toyota Hilux as the means of transportation, not to mention the 200 lbs of house plants in the back. If ya feel like a laugh you can read all about it over at the old speed shack.

This move not only drastically increased the population density of my city of residence and my occupation, but also allowed for a change in my main mode of transportation. And this, my friends, is where the old bike comes in. A 1950 Scwhinn Panther frame, to be exact. Now - an old, heavy Schwinn is not exactly the quintessential commuter rig for someone planning on pulling 15-20+ miles a day, but life should have some style and style is what old bikes have in spades! I'm sure there will be other bikes - some will be lighter and faster and more "hip* but for now it's about enjoying the ride, seeing the sights, and doing so with a little flare.

So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh yeah, who is this wingding writing all this drivel? My name is Christopher, and I like slow cars, long walks on the beach with my dog, and old things that can still be useful and usable. On the list of useful and usable old things, the one that springs to mind is our hand crank coffee grinder. It is older than anyone I know and probably gets more "use" than all of them put together. Occupationally I'm a "pet care professional," meaning I walk and train** dogs for a living. I also write a blog called Drum, though I've been kicking around the idea of calling it Drum Brake to nix any confusion with the musical instrument. Drum is about what I see from the saddle of that old Schwinn I mentioned, and at times those things can be pretty interesting. I also do some reviews, interviews, and critiques of biking products and local businesses. All of this allows me to work with my love and editor, Wifey. Or rather, it allows her to lecture me on the value of spell check.

*No i will not be riding a fixie.
**Still working on certification classes for the training part.

P.S. I'm currently on the look out for a 28" project bike to make into a stripped down "go fast" rig to supplement the pack mulethis summer.

Thanks guys been enjoying things thus far.

Chicopee mass, home of American Tool Supply and Oerlikon Balzers if I remember correctly. How is the great north east?

brrrrrr :wink:
yep! american tool supply is about a mile or 2 away :D
the other coating place is in agawam which is only like 12-15 miles away .
you're right on target! :mrgreen:

junknutz1975 said:
brrrrrr :wink:
yep! american tool supply is about a mile or 2 away :D
the other coating place is in agawam which is only like 12-15 miles away .
you're right on target! :mrgreen:

I spent 5 years working for an aerospace machine shop in Brattleboro VT, purchasing agent I was. We used ATS for a long time, sadly now MSC owns them... I do miss the north east but not the 6 months of winter!

Have a grand green weekend mrgreen.
Christopher

Back