friends higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this guy i know gave me his higgins to get roadworthy
didnt need much

-new tires
-put bars on it
-made and installed new seat and guts
-minor body work
-clearcoated
-repaired the rear hub
-hockey tape grips

rides like a dream

SN850096.jpg

SN850097.jpg

SN850098.jpg

Nice job.. I like the grips..So did you clearcoat the whole bike and did you sand anything first? The reason I ask is I just purchaced 2 higgys from ebay that I want to do the same thing..

vanilla_gorilla said:
gave it a good bath and cleaned the built up grease and dirt off it
then just hit it with a tack rag to get the loose stuff off and it should be good to go
I want to get rid of most of the rust as possible.. but save the paint as much as I can

vanilla could you post more pics of those grips man! ive thought about doing that for grips for quite some time now and im glad to see im not the only one. and it seems like you might be onto something with those seats of yours!!!

Easy E

hey E i got some closer pics for you
these are from my lowrider, its the same technique i used on the higgins
i spun the tape into a rope and then wrapped it around to make the grips and then went over it a
cople times with the tape normally to finish
just like you would put a grip onto a hockey stick
i like to do it this way because its cheaper and i prefer the grip it gives you
SN850143.jpg

SN850141.jpg

thanks for the compliments, give the seat thing a try it was fun to be creative

thanks for the pcs bro. they look good. im looking forward to doing that soon. where did you get the tape at?

Easy E

dang i was just at dicks sporting goods last night too and didnt even think about it. ill definately have to check it out. is there enough on the roll to do more than one set of bars?

Easy E

cool beans man. how are the grips on the comfort level though? thanks for all your help vanilla.

Easy E

i like it because it gives a really solid grip
what i mean it your hands stay on the bars with little effort
i guess you could add to the comfort by how many layers of tape you decide to add one once you are done making them
mine arent very soft, but they dont tear up your hands at all, i just like not having to worry about the grip flying off the bars
anytime man, lemmie know how it works for you

Latest posts

Back