fresh find fail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was cutting though the neighborhoods on my way home last night. i came to a 4 way stop and looked left. a few blocks down looked to be a couple of bikes on the trash curb. i got in finder mode and headed in for the kill. i was so focused i didn't notice another guy walking up to the bikes. by the time i pulled up, he had his hands all over the vintage schwinn le tour. the other bike was dept store junk. anyone else had one swiped out from under you like that?

Garage sale: 10$ Klaxon plunger horn. I saw it and another guy made a beeline for it. That one still stings.

I did that to a guy once, I pulled up and bought a 60's Hawthorne right out from under his nose at a yard sale for $5. But since he kept his mouth shut and didn't try to bid me I sold it to him for $50. Probably worth a hundred but any time you can 10x your money just for being faster to it it's a good day for both.

This sorta just happened. Flea Market. Saw a beautiful Schwinn Lil Tiger at the first table. He wanted $30 but I don't know anything about toddler bikes, and wondered if there was a better score deeper in the flea.

So I speed walked the rest of the market, finding nothing, kicking myself that I didn't grab that tiny bit of bananaseat goodness. Got back there and there was a guy checking it out. I felt that panic as he adored it, but acted like I wasn't interested. So he says to the seller something familiar, "Well I just got here, and will come back and probably grab it as I leave."

He wasn't a booth away, and I dove in and offered the guy $21 dollars. Everything in my wallet. He sold it to me! I thought maybe it would be worth $5o. I get home, check evilbay, and ones in far less condition are selling for $200! A restored one, $500! Who woulda guessed, a toddler bike with 12" hard tires. I guess that is Schwinn fanatics for you.

Lessons learned:

Getting to the flea market while the lazy sharks are sipping their coffee is good.

The time to buy something is when you see it, especially when there are sharks in the water.

Never underestimate the power of a Schwinn badge. No matter how small the bike.

Yes a few weeks ago and I am still mad about it, I was riding my bike around to yard sale then this one place was selling donated stuff and i saw a BMX with a cool frame & ACS wheels for $5, I looked at it then I said I don't have the money on me yet so I raced home then back in 2 minutes then the dang guy sells it anyway without waiting not even 5 minutes.

Not only that for the next few weeks and even now everytime I see something I really need then it's gone or I can't afford it since no one would buy my stuff that I really need gone to be able afford it.

Back