Freight Cycle project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend owning a restaurant asked if I could build a small, light 'bakfiets', with lots of wood to paint on and made with second hand materials. Except for the cog, the spokes in the rear wheel, the left crank, screws, nuts and bolts I managed to do just that.

DSCN1747.jpg

the starting point
DSCN1748.jpg

swap
DSCN1749.jpg

more leftovers
DSCN1769.jpg

a strange object
DSCN1772.jpg

This picture gave me some ideas for other projects, it is in fact the tool to make the bearing cups fit the headstock.
DSCN1790.jpg

Parts of an old floor
DSCN2023.jpg

Support for tiny wheels, too narrow as I found out... I widened it about 7 inches, no pictures yet.
DSCN2028.jpg

the chassis on its wheels
DSCN2032.jpg

Far from finished or perfect, but it rides.
DSCN2036.jpg

26" rear wheel, 16" front wheels, fixed gear. No brake yet...
Don't think this is a good idea to haul heavy loads, I made it to carry a light rider and four cases of beer so she can do her shopping and then park it in front of her restaurant. She likes it, I like it and I hope some of you do too.

Graylock said:
Why do you think it's for light loads? Looks great I think. I must put this bike on my to build list.

GL

I suspect if you turn very far it would be fairly easy to tip to the outside of your turn.

hmmm...weed is legal in amsterdam, right? that explains things.

i'm just funnin' pal. that trucker is cool.
i really dig that side-hack. didja build that also? and do ya have more/better pix of it?

Greylock:
The cycle part of the thing is a bit wobbly, it's the two horizontal tubes. There should have been three, or two heftier ones.
Deorman:
It tended to tip over to the inside of turns, strangely enough. The headstock is tilted forward 12 degrees so the rear part leans intward in turns, so when your too slow it fell to the inside and when too fast, outward.
It is a lot better now with the whels just beside the box but I still have to make something to stop it from turning too far: if the front turns more than 45 degrees the 3 wheels are sort of in one line,,,,

There is a working brake on it now, I'll take pictures of that tomorrow.

beatcad said:
hmmm...weed is legal in amsterdam, right? that explains things.

i'm just funnin' pal. that trucker is cool.
i really dig that side-hack. didja build that also? and do ya have more/better pix of it?

The weed here is for visitors from the States....

Did nobody warn you not to mention sidecars?
DSCN0720.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

DSCN1687.jpg

DSCN1813.jpg

Next post will be about the bakfiets again, I promise.

Some changes:
DSCN2040.jpg

You can see the welds in the square tube
DSCN2043.jpg

The wheels are on the outside now, much better handling.

The thing was asking for a brake:
DSCN2047.jpg

DSCN2049.jpg

DSCN2051.jpg

It works perfect, just put a foot on it and it slows down to zero. No brute force, no stomping.
DSCN2061.jpg

Here you can see the normal configuration of the brake rods.

DSCN2056.jpg

Stuffed with empty crates, a perfect fit.

DSCN2064.jpg

NICELY DONE!

Thanks for all the positive replies. Here is a little update, job almost done.
O, and don't complain about not being able to weld, look at my cookies.... (lack of patience and proper education)

DSCN2065.jpg

The brake as it was
DSCN2067.jpg

Glamour shot
DSCN2073.jpg

The parking brake, engaged
DSCN2075.jpg

Disengaged

And now the mystery object, see if you can figure out what it's for:
DSCN2076.jpg

DSCN2077.jpg

The Dutch should know this.

Cman: Sort of, it locks the box to the rear frame when it's parked.
Dragster III: How big are your marshmallows?

Here it is on the trike:
DSCN2084.jpg

engaged
DSCN2083.jpg

disengaged, the spring is there to keep it in place and keep it quiet while riding.

I had to carry the frame and box up and down these stairs several times, the workshop is under the bridge....
DSCN2082.jpg

That's it for now, the technical stuff is done, the rest is cosmetics. I took it apart for the final tune up (rear wheel adjustment, straightening the frame a bit), it'll get a rear fender and a small chainguard, then it will be painted.

One last picture of a real 'bakfiets', one that will carry what you can push, up to 400Kg/880Lbs:
huurbakfiets.jpg

Great Job, I love Truck bikes, but I have no room for one of those, some day I hope.
Have you seen this?

C.S. said:
Dragster III: How big are your marshmallows?
there HUGE :shock: :shock:

just kidden :mrgreen: , anyhoo that is a neat Idea, I cant believe you carried that huge thing up and down the the stairs :shock: you need a pulley system :D

Back