Freewheel Vs. Coaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster of Frewheel

• Freewheel

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Coaster

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this been asked before? Anyway I'm just curious to see how many of you guys prefer one over the other. I know coasters offer a cleaner look, but freewheels offer better braking. What do you guys like?

coaster brakes offer more skidding power :mrgreen: well ateast to me

coaster. i get the same effect from a well-built coaster hub as i do the best hand brakes. plus, no brake rub, no fiddling with cables or gyros, and it has a clean look. oh! and it works the same in any weather, unlike hand brakes, even disc brakes.

I just like anything old school so, for me, coaster brakes represent the old school cruisers that are my fave. However, I love the freewheel set-up on my other bikes and the BMX bikes I have.

stretch said:
coaster. i get the same effect from a well-built coaster hub as i do the best hand brakes. plus, no brake rub, no fiddling with cables or gyros, and it has a clean look. oh! and it works the same in any weather, unlike hand brakes, even disc brakes.
But isnt it more
EXTREME
When they're wet?

TheFlyingDingo said:
stretch said:
But isnt it more
EXTREME
When they're wet?
true :mrgreen:

Coaster brake.
As has been mentioned, for the clean look of no cables, for good brake control, and for easy skids. And thats the way they make the 2 speed kickback hubs I like to use on my bikes.

Coaster brakes, all the way. They just have a more retro feel than hand brakes.

I picked freewheel for pretty much the same reason Dingo had. most of my bikes are coasters but its just fun to hop on a freewheel bike and hear the clickyclickyclicky noise and spinnin the pedals backwards. i guess sorta like driving a new car for the first time, just feels different.

masterpoop63 said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
stretch said:
But isnt it more
EXTREME
When they're wet?
true :mrgreen:
only when its cold, dark, and there's no sidewalk. :lol:

Back