Free wheel front hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys it is getting to be that time again for another build.

I am wanting to do another low bike, but with a low profile car tire and a bicycle front. I am wanting to have the cranks on the front wheel, think tricycle, but I am also wanting multiple gears. Was thinking of a few different options, strumey archer, nexus and what not. But none of these have the option of mounting on a pair of forks.

I was hoping one of the gurus around these parts could help.

So basically a drift trike style front end, but with a single low profile car tire in the rear.

Any thoughts or ideas?

huffy green machine, single speed but you might be able to convert it. Already has crank arms mounted, check craigslist.

Yeah been looking for those locally. Though like you mentioned they are single speed.

Would there be a way to modify an existing multispeed hub to accept a set of cranks? At least having it be reliable of course

I can't think of a way to do it, it'd be some engineering that's beyond my community college brain.

Yeah I hear that.

Was thinking of a shaft that sits on the axle. Then having a clam shell clamp thing go around the bearing. Then welding those clamps to the forks.

Really hoping there would be enough axle to attach the cranks to. Then I run into the problem of shifting through the cranks......

Here you go. This trike is front wheel drive with a rear electric kicker. 3 speed Nexus in the front. The motor is only use when there is a load.

13924996_10153902286749001_3246695786407617929_n.jpg

I looked into this a while ago for another project too expensive to build. You want to look into geared unicycles and see what you can find. A unicycle fork would already have the clamps you're talking about. Also, see Coker Cycles, in case you want to go real nuts with a 36" wheel or something. They also make a freewheel hub. Shlumpf makes an IGH for unicycles, but the price is absurd.

Last edited:
That's not bad. May be an option if I can't find anything else.

Would like to avoid using a chain if possible.

Back