Free '53 klunker, starting to look like a bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I figured I'd start a build thread on this.
Started with this free '53 Schwinn frame
image-21.jpg

Inspiration
image-32.jpg

Tried some parts
image-30.jpg

Tried some different parts
image-31.jpg

image-33.jpg

image-34.jpg

The final plan
image-38.jpg

Re: Free '53 the Petty build.

Well I got to thinking about how long and low the superbird looks so it got me to thinking what if I could lay the frame down but not have to scrape pedals. Then a few cuts later I had my hot rod exhaust. Still need to double check the chain line before I get it welded in. And waiting on the other 20x3 so I can figure out final ride height. I also have a line on a triple tree fork so I can bring the ride height right where I need it.

image-40.jpg

image-41.jpg

image-42.jpg

image-43.jpg

image-44.jpg

Re: Free '53 the Petty build. Frame modding.

That's a cool mod idea! Being that you've moved the pedals forward, check your pedal clearance going forward too, wouldn't want to hit the front tire every time you turned slightly (especially when making those vintage NASCAR left handers :mrgreen: ). You may be OK since you moved the BB forward and up, but to be safe....

Keep it going bro, this one is already a step 'forward' from 'The Bootlegger' :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
That's a cool mod idea! Being that you've moved the pedals forward, check your pedal clearance going forward too, wouldn't want to hit the front tire every time you turned slightly (especially when making those vintage NASCAR left handers :mrgreen: ). You may be OK since you moved the BB forward and up, but to be safe....

Keep it going bro, this one is already a step 'forward' from 'The Bootlegger' :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks I think I'll be fine with pedal clearance but that's why I'm waiting till I get the other 20x3 and the triple tree fork first.

Love the BB placement and the header pipes are gonna be wicked!!

kingfish254 said:
Love the BB placement and the header pipes are gonna be wicked!!
Just wait till the #43 '53 gets a 64.....oh....I've said too much. 8)

Seeing that Superbird brings back a memory - I was in the Navy and stationed on Whidbey Island, WA from 1969 to 1971. In town there was a car dealership that had a brand new one in white sitting in the lot. I had read about these and the Chargers w/ the same body in Playboy and how they had to produce and sell a certain amount to the public so they could race them. Wish I would have had my camera with me - what a sight! Robert

Road Master said:
Seeing that Superbird brings back a memory - I was in the Navy and stationed on Whidbey Island, WA from 1969 to 1971. In town there was a car dealership that had a brand new one in white sitting in the lot. I had read about these and the Chargers w/ the same body in Playboy and how they had to produce and sell a certain amount to the public so they could race them. Wish I would have had my camera with me - what a sight! Robert

Oh you read the articles too? :p :mrgreen:

IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS :mrgreen:
starting my panther build up now look for it :p

More mock up and part fitting. I was planning to make just a flat plexiglass plate for the tank but I think I like this better.

image-45.jpg

image-46.jpg

image-47.jpg

I like the tank better than the flat plate much better.

Finally got my triple tree fork today, I still need to paint it and get the rubber bump guards cut off but that I will do another day.

image-51.jpg

image-52.jpg

Re: Free '53 the Petty build. Fork swap.

I did a bit more computer aided modding and I can't wait to get the remining parts to finish this thing. Thinking of some motocross style bars though. And of corse lowering it once I get the other tire. What do you guys and gals think?

image-53.jpg

looks pretty good man, btw that rear wheel you seem to keep editing up in the front is a 'Peregrine' mag wheel :wink:

iven said:
looks pretty good man, btw that rear wheel you seem to keep editing up in the front is a 'Peregrine' mag wheel :wink:
I know the rear is a peregrine and it was easier just to photochop the fat tire on front that way, the front will actually be a skyway. It looks close but doesn't have the slight twist to it. But if anyone asks I'll just say it twisted from the torque... :wink:

Re: Free '53 the Petty build. Going Klunker.

Well this build is not dead but due to ground clearance issues, chain line issues, waiting on parts, and having perfect klunker parts laying around this '53 Schwinn is turning into a klunker and I have a 24" frame that will work better for the chopper build. So here's what I got going now.

image-125.jpg

Re: Free '53 now a klunker!

aww... i was looking into what it was gonna turn out into :|

Back