FrankenBurri

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wantin' to built a burrito forever. But I have always thought they should be welded, brazing is just too expensive. The whole point of a burrito is to keep the cost at an absolute minimum.
Well, my son bought a welder for his '66 Fairlane and that changed everything. I really wasn't up for another build this year, but I'm up for some new skills.

This will not be a thorough build report like the buildoff, I'm still burnt from that. I have some goals on this one and figure it's worth sharing.
1st, Burritos are notoriously ill handling, their super-relaxed headtubes create trail numbers that are measured in feet! :?
2nd, they tend to be uncomfortable knee eaters.

To get the handling under control, I'm gonna KOTA-IZE the front fork to obtain 1.5" to 2" trail. Plus I plan on using a long stem and "Superman" handlebars so it has a ton of tiller. The bars will also allow an upright seating position.
Finish will kept to a minimum. This thing has some sweet rust.

The Frankenjig.
buri001_zps1c2f6b2c.jpg

buri005_zps77da52fb.jpg

Go Bucks!
buri003_zps0d1309fc.jpg

Rusty wheels, check.

buri006_zps103ca1b1.jpg

I cut and ground a hub to get a mount for the idler.

buri004_zps0644e335.jpg

Glad you guys are diggin' it, these ain't for everybody. 8)
Got it welded up on Sunday, It kinda looks a mess, but I guess that's part of the appeal of these things. It is fairly straight, so I give the Frankenjig 2 thumbs up. I like welding but I REALLY need an auto darkening helmet. I know a guy that's real good that doesn't like the darn things. The difference is he's good.

Handling is way above my expectations. Has that kind of CWC/Roadmaster kind of feel to it. And it's SOFT. I've rode springers that hit bumps harder than this. Pedaling is similar to a Towny.
I didn't have to bend the forks too much to get the trail right. It's right around 1.5" and as you can see the steering doesn't flop over on it's own.

I didn't think I'd ride it too much and aready put 12mi's on it. :D

The Superman bars.
brdone007.jpg

brdone006.jpg

brdone005.jpg

The Idler.
brdone002.jpg

brdone004.jpg

brdone003.jpg

brdone011.jpg

brdone009sepia.jpg

brdone010.jpg

brdone012.jpg

For now I'm callin' it done.

Decided to set it out in the drizzle, you could literaly watch it rust.
wet001.jpg

A while back I decided to shake things up a bit and see just how good this thing rides.
I replaced the seat and pedals, then added a rack and bag for a long distance ride. I rode 22mi's along the North coast inland trail from Fremont to Elmore.
FBtrip002.jpg

Stopped in for a giant panini sandwich here @ Sandies Cafe.
FBtrip001.jpg

Bike Shop along the trail @ Elmore.

FBtrip003.jpg

This also marks my longest trek on a single speed! The last 5mi's were the worst(backside), but sometimes I like to remind myself why I like recumbents so much.

After that adventure, I could see I needed something in the back. And after seeing the "Rocked Forward" fender during the build-off, I felt the need to try it on something.
Seems to work here.
FBtrip004.jpg

FBtrip005.jpg

Back