Foxie's punk-rock rat-bike cruiser thingy!! (first project)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sooo for anyone who hasn't read my intro (which is probably most people) we started with this:

4093299085_2fe68eb749.jpg

which i picked up off the side of the road. Didn't really know what it was or what to do with it, except that i want it to be a sort of cruiser and i want to put a bananna seat on it. haven't got that far yet, but i'm just sort of making it up as i go along.... I also want to spend as little money on this as possible, cuz it's really just something to keep me amused.

so i started by pulling it apart to clean it, in the middle of my family room floor, like so:

4104460179_766a794bb3.jpg
4104460149_29d6db7ff3.jpg

and then today, being about a hundred degrees Celsius outside (ok, 40) Charl (hubby) and i sat down and decided where we were going to start. I'd already decided i want to make it dark purple, and charl suggested, after seeing a thread on here where someone else painted their rims black, that sanding back most of my rusty chrome and painting black might be a better solution than buying all new bits.

so, i'm not a big fan of massive ape-hanger handle bars, so i thought if we just bended out the handle bars that came on it a bit, i'd probably be happy. but we didn't have a vise. so we first tried to bend them with me standing on them and charl levering them with a pole, but that didn't work, so we stuck them under the wheel of the car and tried again! that worked!

so we bent the middle apart a bit wider, and the actual handle bar bits that you hang onto, a bit flatter, and also a bit wider (make sense?)

then sanded back the rust, and hit it with some killrust in satin-black.

thus:

4104460221_ef90176239.jpg

got a bit of a kink in it though.... might put some mirrors on there eventually to hide it :oops:

theeeen i was trying to sand back the rust on the wheels, and Charl suggested it might be easier without the spokes in, soooo we took them out (work out how to put them back later, hey?)

sanded, killrust (they're actually the same colour as the handlebars, weird lighting):

4104459809_3314c0f954.jpg

Also, spokes are a little bit rusty, but not too bad, so we're experimenting with making them purple, if it works out, great, if not, get some new ones.

4105226424_37749e67fa.jpg

sprocket is press-fitted to crank. the crank is not too badly rusted, so imma polish that up, masked the crank, painted the sprocket, also same colour as handle bars (please ignore dirty dog-bath in the background):

4104459873_c0be9dfafd.jpg

annnd also rebuilt the hubs today, but not photos of that... annnd, painted the wheel nuts:

4104460047_44fe7558e1.jpg

so, that was it for today.

to be continued....

Ooh! update!

Charl's just been messing around with putting the spokes back on the wheels for me, he'd never done it before, but thought he'd have a go at the twisting, turned out awesome, he's pretty clever!

4104861253_789838fc92.jpg

Nice rim, did the paint on the spokes hold up to the twisting?

8)

This is your FIRST build?........I'm impressed. Like I said in your intro..Let me give you an idea, here's one with a radical bend http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff18 ... 001-25.jpg . And here's one with a mild bend http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff18 ... 77/023.jpg . It's the CHEAPEST way to change the looks (attitude) of a bike there is. If your bike has 22's on it. That fork with a 20 on it (slightly bent) would look very cool..........But then again, not everybody likes my bikes. :lol:

Hey Foxie! I've always wanted to say that! :lol:
Great first timer! You and Charl work pretty good together. That bike has so many possibilities. It has a great frame style that lends itself to all kinds of ideas. The handlebars turned out great. Don't worry about that little kink, it just gives it character! The wheels ROCK! Charl did a great job on the twisting. You both should be very proud. You always remember your first time (especially if it's wht someone you love!)
Looking forward to the next installment of pics and info!
Chainy

redeye: yeah it did! we didn't really expect it too either...

KOTA: My first build full-stop, Charl's first custom bike build, he used to work for a bike shop as a kid, so he's built bikes out of a box and knows how they go together, never built a wheel before though.... we've also done a lot of work on car restoration, especially into old carollas, we're pretty hands-on, DIY kinds of people, so that helps. Actually really like both your bikes there, kinda what i'm going for, i think i probably will bend the forks a bit, just mildly though, cuz it's pretty low already :)

Chainy: Yeah we're a pretty good team! the bike does lend itself to different ideas, i think that's why i didn't know what to do with it to begin with... Charl's a bit of a perfectionist, so he was more worried about the kink than i was, i'm a dirty punk so i agree, add's character :)

Ratina: i think it's just you :p nah, it's laced the same, but i think some spokes are further apart than others.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, i feel like this is going pretty well, can't wait to see what it looks like when i put it all together :)

ok, so today we basically got some painting done...

started by bending the fork.... as previously stated we don't have a vice.... sooo, we put a bolt though the fork where wheels go, hooked it under the foot of Charl's air compressor, and put a big pipe over the head stem and pushed!

voila!

4124380488_d429772dd7.jpg
4124380528_732e7b2ff5.jpg

then we took to it with some paint stripper.... i strongly recommend safety glasses if you're using this stuff.... trust me, you don't want it in your eye, i should know........

ta-da!

4123612573_11cacfac9f.jpg

me, stripping (bwahahahahaha):

4123611813_a06a6df51a.jpg

then we primed, painted, put on a bit of sparkle with the airbrush, and cleared, resulting in this:

4124380388_82249fc7b9.jpg

it's brighter and sparklier than that, doesn't really show up on the camera apparently.

Also, after cleaning up the fenders, we discovered under all the dirt, someone had put gold pinstripes along them like so:

4124380102_45a6953bb3.jpg

which i really like, so we're gonna put some satin black pinstripes along my purple fenders to match the handlebars, etc.

also, found this on another bike we rescued from the side of the road recently:

4123611853_bcfa5ebdd0.jpg
4124380062_7eb4a8ca48.jpg

so Charl made a little bracket for it, we tried it on (as shown above) so i'm in the process of cleaning up the rust and painting it black.

so that about brings it up to date for today :)

to be continued.......

NICE JOB on the forks!..........Oh yeah, this thing is gonna rock!

Hummm a female building bikes in my shop. Guess that would be ok unless you got better at it than me. Your doing good work...keep it up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha, thanks KOTA, air compressor gave it a nice shape hey? :p

Uncle Stretch, is that a job offer? :p bit of a commute though.....

P.S. i think it's looking less rat-rod and more hot-rod now..... and not so much with the punkrock either....

sooo, started putting it together, waiting on a proper seat and some fender braces and bits and pieces, so still not finished by any means, but definately looking more like a bike:

4134903833_7532d6ab67.jpg

probably still another good day or two of work in it.... i'll get a good pic of it out in the sun when it's done so you can see how awesome the paint is :-D

Little bike turned out really nice. Did some good work. Australia huh....I didnt even pick up on the accent. :lol:

LOOKIN GOOOOD!

Iiii don't say silly things like "crikey" "strewth" or "cobber"... i'm from south australia, so i just say "no worries" and "youreright" a lot.... and we say 'ey alot, kinda like Canadians..... oh, and i call people who's names i don't know "mate"

meanwhile, found some more bikes and bits in hard rubbish today... and lots of vintage luggage, but that's a whole other forum....

Back