Found this Tricycle at Salvation Army for $20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head badge says "Dayton - Huffman Dayton Bicycles, Ohio". It looks like it has been repainted though, as there are some over spray on some bolts. It doesn't use hollow hubs, rather it uses two front hubs and one coaster brake hub. And I know the handlebars/grips are not original to the bike.

I just disassembled it and will be powder coating it mint green this week.

tricycle_01.jpg

Nice trike! From the chain guard, it looks like a 60's model. I'll agree on the repaint, they painted over the fork crown (chrome?) and the lower bearing cap.

$20 was a steal. Maybe the rebuilder changed out a few things. Did you find a serial number?

Here's a picture of the head badge and serial number on the bottom bracket. The paint was so thick that the serial number was not readable until I brushed some of the paint off. Any ideas of when this bike was built?

badge.jpg

serial_number.jpg

Nice buy... Around here you can't buy any bike for less than $30 at the VOA or Salvation Army. Even if they're missing both wheels...

Just to let you guys know, if you are in the Portland OR area, check out the big Salvation Army "family store" in Hiillsboro, OR. It seems that most of the entire Portland donations get sent there first. And the prices are very very reasonable. And you can still bargain down the price. I have found original Starwars and GI Joe figures, modern computers (with genuine Intel "prototype" chips in them), etc

I just recently got into bikes, but in previous years I have seen many many older bikes there. All between $10 and $40. I just never took a good look at them.

I don't live near there anymore though :(

I looked through a whole bunch of Dayton/ Huffman / Huffy serial number threads in other forums and didn't see anything with only 4 digits. Everything had 5 or more numbers or had lettering along with 4 numbers, going back to the early 40's. It could be they numbered their trikes separately, but that bike looks like a girl's regular frame with trike attachment, so I'm looking at the frame characteristics trying to ID it. It's probably a Dayton unless the rebuilder really riveted the badge on there nicely. The chain wheel is much newer, but still a Huffy. So is the chain guard, but it looks like it fits well. A view from the other side and from the rear of the frame may help also. It looks like the same style as the a 60's Huffy Camaro I built for my daughter, but I can't tell for sure. The seat stays will clarify that. a pic of the dropouts will help too.

I looked through a whole bunch of Dayton/ Huffman / Huffy serial number threads in other forums and didn't see anything with only 4 digits. Everything had 5 or more numbers or had lettering along with 4 numbers, going back to the early 40's. It could be they numbered their trikes separately, but that bike looks like a girl's regular frame with trike attachment, so I'm looking at the frame characteristics trying to ID it. It's probably a Dayton unless the rebuilder really riveted the badge on there nicely. The chain wheel is much newer, but still a Huffy. So is the chain guard, but it looks like it fits well. A view from the other side and from the rear of the frame may help also. It looks like the same style as the a 60's Huffy Camaro I built for my daughter, but I can't tell for sure. The seat stays will clarify that. a pic of the dropouts will help too.

Thanks for the help!

I am starting to think that the head badge might not even be original to this trike. Reason being that there is red paint over spray on many areas of this bike, except the head badge. So I am thinking the previous owner rattled canned the bike, then added the head badge afterwards.

I will take some more pictures tomorrow.

Found a Schwinn town and country trike on the side of the road for $25. C387386 is the serial, having trouble deciphering the actual year it might be.

Welcome to the site!

That may be a later model than the Chicago Schwinns, maybe just 10 years old or so. A pic will help.

Nice aquisition. :cool2: Maybe not as cool as a differential drive, but that trike style is the easiest to service and the least likely to need it. 20 bucks was a steal.

Just got my trike framed blasted and powder coated. Also, I just noticed there is a serial number on the dropout. It must have been invisable under all the rattle can red paint. It reads: 14666 (I think)

trike_13.jpg

trike_10.jpg

trike_11.jpg

trike_12.jpg

trike_14.jpg

trike_15.jpg

Looking closely at the photo, the serial number is a small 4 then a space to W214666. I'll see if I can track that down.

Back