Found: My old Huffy The Judge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this was lost forever, but somewhere in the 5 old store buildings my dad owns my brother located my old Huffy The Judge muscle bike. As you can see from the photo, it's in pretty rough shape, this bike got rode hard and put up wet, or maybe didn't get put up all that often. It's missing the chain guard and the 5 speed shifter, along with the brakes and derailleur. But I have hopes of finding those, don't think e ever actually threw anything away, and who needed a chain guard anyway? Can't decide whether to restore this, put it into working order but leave it rough, or rat it out all together. What do you think?

6b90cfad.jpg

Awesome that you still had it. Fix up = $$ Make it a rider and shine what's left to shine is my idea, that is what rat actually is.

Full Blown Resto!

Nothing will freak yourself out more than what it looked like when you first rode it.

But for now, it may be cool to ride it as is, just grease it up first. Maybe throw a coaster on the back to keep things simple.

Cool 8) With enough elbow grease and polish, that paint will shine right up! :D A little steel wool on the wheels will shine up too :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Cool 8) With enough elbow grease and polish, that paint will shine right up! :D A little steel wool on the wheels will shine up too :wink:

I tried the 3M green pot scrubber and glass cooktop cleaner this weekend on rust and was very impressed with the results.

Man, that fade paint job will be tough to match, and it's missing some paint for sure. I'm afraid it's beyond the polish it out stage. Plan to go hunting for parts this weekend, if I can find the chain guard and the shifter, I can at least get it rideable. Here's some more of the story on this bike: mom and dad hit some hard times, not sure why, and my brother and I had a little cash in our savings accounts. So our parents confiscated the money, couldn't have been more than a couple hundred. It got them through whatever crisis had loomed...so when they had the cash to pay us back, they gave us identical Judge bikes as interest. I have a feeling this bike is part mine and part brother Brian's. His had the yellow knobby in back, I stayed with the original cheater click. But I can tell the sissy bar is from my bike and the front wheel has loose bearings which mine also had. Sooo, somewhere in the 5 old buildings my dad owned, there's a real possibility that there is another one of these.

BTW, there's an entire barn full of old bikes there, mostly junk from Sears and Monkey Wards, but maybe a gem or two. I know he had at least three English 3 speeds, and one Danish bike with solid rods instead of cables. My brother already made off with the Army messenger bike with a Whizzer engine on it. And there's a cabinet full of spokes and bearings, etc. Some day I'll dig them all out, but it won't be until after the resident snake population goes back to winter quarters. ;-)

yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

I tried the 3M green pot scrubber and glass cooktop cleaner this weekend on rust and was very impressed with the results.

Mine has never made it back in the house, I used it on 2 bikes over the weekend

Big Jim Mac said:
Man, that fade paint job will be tough to match, and it's missing some paint for sure. I'm afraid it's beyond the polish it out stage. Plan to go hunting for parts this weekend, if I can find the chain guard and the shifter, I can at least get it rideable. Here's some more of the story on this bike: mom and dad hit some hard times, not sure why, and my brother and I had a little cash in our savings accounts. So our parents confiscated the money, couldn't have been more than a couple hundred. It got them through whatever crisis had loomed...so when they had the cash to pay us back, they gave us identical Judge bikes as interest. I have a feeling this bike is part mine and part brother Brian's. His had the yellow knobby in back, I stayed with the original cheater click. But I can tell the sissy bar is from my bike and the front wheel has loose bearings which mine also had. Sooo, somewhere in the 5 old buildings my dad owned, there's a real possibility that there is another one of these.

BTW, there's an entire barn full of old bikes there, mostly junk from Sears and Monkey Wards, but maybe a gem or two. I know he had at least three English 3 speeds, and one Danish bike with solid rods instead of cables. My brother already made off with the Army messenger bike with a Whizzer engine on it. And there's a cabinet full of spokes and bearings, etc. Some day I'll dig them all out, but it won't be until after the resident snake population goes back to winter quarters. ;-)

So ummm... can I come over and play? I'll bring my snake bite-proof chaps. Where did you say you live? :mrgreen:

I'll probably dig them all out, load on a trailer and head to one of the swap meets. The horde is in Missouri not too far from St. Louis. I see lots of swapping in the future...No idea what is there, like I said most of it is going to be junk but great fodder for Rat Rodders

Back