Found an old bike. Should we throw it out? 1948 Schwinn B6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kidding.

My 13 year old son just bought this yesterday. He likes it's hard earned patina and wants to respect it with a mechanical, but not cosmetic freshening, other than tires.

Checking the serial number and looking around on-line, we believe it's a 1948 Schwinn B6.

What do you think?
046.jpg

045.jpg

Re: Found an old bike. Should we throw it out?

I think he scored! Pretty sure the B-6 had the same type of light/fender as the Phantom. But.... No telling what may have been lost/replaced over the years, definately a Schwinn. Whats the ser. # ? Myself, I'm not a big fan of rust, some say rust is life! I say, rust is the beginning of the end. Nice to see an older post war ballooner found. 8)

Great looking bike. Wheels match, but they aren't Schwinn, they are standard 26", which means you have a bigger selection of tires that will go on. Wish I could have had a bike like that when I was 13. Horn tank looks good too, not dented. You can get a replacement horn, unless the old one is dropped in the tank. Maybe there's money in there too! Is the serial number on the left dropout or bottom bracket? We can possibly locate that model in the catalogs.

Thanks guys! Any info would be really helpful.

The front and rear wheels both have New Departure hubs so I imagine they are old. The wheels don't look like Schwinn ones (that I'm familiar with) and I don't see any writing on them.

We haven't taken the tank off yet and unfortunately, someone bobbed the front fender but you can see where the light was.

The serial number is under the crank and is E47699

Where could we source a horn or the light?

Section 8 said:

That would have been made on 9/18/1948. Exactly one month after the Schwinn factory fire! Great find!

Section 8 said:

Where could we source a horn or the light?
Nice Score!!
Looks like it rolled off of the assembly line in September of 1948

Ebay is an option for parts...so is Memory Lane Classics. You could also post a wanted ad here, somebody might have what you need.

That looks like it could be a parts bike to me. The stem is a prewar Wald and the front fender is drilled for a light. A B6 would have had a fenderlight like a Phantom. The chain ring is not from a B6, they had Phantom style 1/2" pitch rings.

Still a cool bike though. I think all your boy needs is some big fat balloon tires instead of those middleweights, an old style seat with big springs and some grips. Maybe lose the reflectors in the pedals too. :wink: Gary

1948_May_B6.JPG

"Watch the gang gather 'round to
admire your Schwinn-built bicycle.
You'll be king of the block for sure
because only Schwinn built bicycles
have all the features that every good
bike rider wants and needs. Yes sir,
everybody wants a Schwinn because
it's America's finest bicycle."

63 years and the words still ring true. :wink: :mrgreen:

1949_01.jpg

Hey it's still under warranty....As long as you own it.... :lol:

Thank you for those, Outskirts.

It looks like someone brush painted it once, but the original paint visible underneath is just like what's shown in those ads.

The reason I used the cute thread title about throwing it out, is that many of the unwashed masses reacted to my son like that: They can't believe anyone would pay for a bike like that.

Yeah those who don't know would think that way, in truth that bike is awesome! Especially the fact that it was made one month to the day after the Schwinn factory fire. Personally I'd try dipping a test spot in oxalic acid for an hour and see what happens. It might bring back some of the color hiding under the rust and leaving the original paint in it's weathered but clean state. Then if all went well a full OA bath, then I'd wash it with baking soda water (to neutralize the acid), rinse, and clear coat it to prevent further rust from forming.

I don't know where my son came up with his strange ideas.

My car:

edsel_library0005.jpg

Section 8 said:
I don't know where my son came up with his strange ideas.

My car:

edsel_library0005.jpg

1959 or 58???? I used to have two of those wagons, I inherited them from my dad! A copper colored brown one that had the motor rebuilt & a white one for parts. Both cars were complete! Wish I would have hung onto both of them! :(

Bike is awesome BTW!

Awesome! The Edsel is a 1959. 1958 is the most well known and common. 1959 is hard to find, and 1960 is just flat out RARE.

cool bike, cool wagon!

Back