For those with Monarch-style springers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ratsters,

I'm in the market for a front fork for my Son of Higginstein rat and had some questionees:

Regarding the monarch type springer, how is the ride with this fork? Is it kinda mushy with the spring set up? Does the spring normally bottom out?

I see that some have had problems with the Crossbow version and wonder if the same issues occur with the Chain Gang model.

FWIW, my Higgins has a 1 1/8" headtube and the length of it is 6" from the outer cups.

Thx

Spin

Are you sure that your J.C. Higgins needs a 1-1/8" fork? Most early bikes used a 1" threaded fork. The 1" is the measurement of the steerer tube( the tube that is on top of the fork crown) diameter, not the head tube. Head tube ID or headset bearing cup OD should be about 1-5/32".
I weigh about 175 and have an OG Moark springer on a cruiser and it rides nice. Any of the old spring forks are mushy compared to a modern suspension fork and will bottom out under aggressive use (curb hopping/ big air :D )

I have an original Monark fork and love it. It rattles a little with all of the pivots but otherwise rides good-better than a Schwinn springer in my opinion. I have heard that heavier riders bottomed out the Crossbow springs and that they may be using or have available a heavier spring set than they originally used.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/david-quickpic/1280570770/in/set-72157602356066779/

"....Are you sure that your J.C. Higgins needs a 1-1/8" fork? Most early bikes used a 1" threaded fork. The 1" is the measurement of the steerer tube( the tube that is on top of the fork crown) diameter, not the head tube. Head tube ID or headset bearing cup OD should be....."

I don't know for sure. I said 1 1/8 becuse "Karfer67" has the same frame he used on his 50s something Higgins. He said he used a 1 1/8" to 1" reducer to fit his Kruzer King fork.

All I know is a stuck a broom handle that is 1" OD and it slid thru the head tube with some room to spare.

Now I'm rootin' around the house for something that's got a 1 1/8" OD to see if it'll slide thru. :)

Spin

Back