Flying Ace and springer fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Been a little bit since I posted my last find, but I figured I'd post these last 2. First one is courtesy of RRB member Bri-in-RI. It's a Firestone Flying Ace (Colson made I think)

The second one I picked up locally off a guy (Wayne) that I met at a swap in Vancouver

As you can see, I already semi-attached it to the frame to see if it would fit without modifications.

Yes, Colson built. probably 40-42. Post the second line of serial number with letter and single digit number, and we can pinpoint date of manufacture if you are interested. I'm kind of a purist, but that CW fork goes with that Colson frame like bread and butter. Gonna be a cool build!

Last edited:
I believe the second line is I1 (goes 43380 cc
I1 I think)

And thank you for the positive affirmation about the look of the frame with fork. It'll be my first 26" build and I have to stockpile some parts to make it happen. I'd really like to enter bonine, especially after participating last year, but we'll have to see how things go. Just means I won't start anything until I have all the parts or until I know I won't be able to get it done in time.

Very nice! Your springer looks to be the desireable prewar version of the cwc shockmaster with the 'swan' shaped truss arms.

Thanks Jpromo. Paid more for it than I wanted to but other than one of the bolts being replaced, and incorrect, the fork is in fantastic shape. It will almost be a shame for me to repaint it, but unlike Mark Davo, I am not a purist ;)

Nice set-up...the start to a good look'n build. I have a small collection of springers.....all with their native bodies. It I good to know someone can tell us about the date of manufacture for many old bikes....that's great news...I'll be on post with some questions on dating several of dusty barn found pre-war bikes.....

Back