flake paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
does anyone know if a guy could put metal flake chips on a rattle can paint job? or does this sound stupid ? i was thinkin maybee have someone "rain" the flakes down while im painting,,just wondering ? i have some old copper flake so it really wouldnt cost me anything except the time 2 totally redo the paint job after it gets screwed up ....any comments or suggestions ...i know someone has something on this ..thnx

i am going to say no, but you might be able to get a cheap gun and mix it in clear. they do make sparkle clear that I saw at an auto store once.

base it the color you want craft flake clear the crap out of it

it's been done on here turned out cool
good luck finding the post though

I get mine at the auto parts house. It's about $10 or $12 a can. The nozzle clogs kinda quick with the flakes, so I keep 2 extra nozzles in a small container of acetone. When one clogs up I swap it out for a spare and drop the clogged one in the acetone.

udallcustombikes said:
I get mine at the auto parts house. It's about $10 or $12 a can. The nozzle clogs kinda quick with the flakes, so I keep 2 extra nozzles in a small container of acetone. When one clogs up I swap it out for a spare and drop the clogged one in the acetone.

that is a really good idea.

I sprayed some fenders with that flake clear. On top of white paint the results were so-so, but on top of black it really looks cool. I will try to post up some pictures tomorrow.

I am super interested in seeing how this turns out. I am ready for clearcoat on my frame in a couple days, it is dark brown. If the flake looks good on black, that will give me an idea of how it might look on brown. Thanks.

This is the Metal Specks Burnt Copper. The pic does not do the color justice though.
FriFeb12131141CST2010.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
This is the Metal Specks Burnt Copper. The pic does not do the color justice though.

I second...

5.JPG

the flash used in this photo gives you an idea of how it appears in full sunlight... 8)

Shifter.JPG

testors makes a metal flaked looking paint. its like 4 buck for 3 oz tho :( . the gold looks rad based with the krylon metalic gold paint. ive used them on bowling pins ive striped up. it just a tinted clear with flakes. so use a base coat of what ever color your using in testors. it doesnt look good on white. it'd probly be expensive for a whole bike but for little projects its cool.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... I=TESR2529

where can i get that paint? that is sick. and yea that copper is a fave of mine too

that looks really interesting. what i was wondering are the flakes just the flake suspended in clear and would a base color need to be layed down. i checked the roth site and cant wait to read more about this stuff

this stuff rules !! for bikes and other small projects its so much easier, than the set up of sprayguns ,mixing and all the rest that goes with a big job. if you live close enough, be sure to check out the shop in person. so much Kool stuff ,painted ,flaked, or pinstriped. videos, books and tools of the trade. (is it just me ,or do i sound like the sales guy on tv at 3 am) :lol: karfer you would love the shop. Steve has some very Kool pinstriped panels, bowling pins ect.. the panels by Cary Greenwood (R.I.P.) are so ......!! everytime i see em, Its a " so thats what it's Supposed to look like" moment. then I go practice some more!!!! 8)

Latest posts

Back