Five-G Conspiracy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A scratch built Great Green Grocery Getter - Greyhound Edition. Because my Wife asked for one.

IMG_8947.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_8948.jpeg

(edit to add link to build thread)
Five-G build thread

Based on Cycle Truck concept, 90’s Specialized geometry, and custom wife measurements.

Starting Point:
IMG_8448.jpeg

IMG_8449.jpeg
IMG_8466.jpeg

Maybe not the most elegant final photos, but it rides true & hauls loads.

+ My wife won a bike!
+ (I was already a winner, ‘cause her. ❤️)

Last edited:
A tweak of old with modern, and still useful for today's shopping. A thumbs up.

Impressive build quality, John! Everything from the jig to the welds to the paint; looks professionally done!

I've never ridden a 'cargo style' framed bike. How does the front end handle once loaded with the case of 'trout'?
The bike has a fairly performance position profile, bars lower than the seat, how does your wife like it?

Your term 'greyhound' style fits this well. Looks like a cargo bike, rides like a regular bike.

Kudos!

Impressive build quality, John! Everything from the jig to the welds to the paint; looks professionally done!

I've never ridden a 'cargo style' framed bike. How does the front end handle once loaded with the case of 'trout'?
The bike has a fairly performance position profile, bars lower than the seat, how does your wife like it?

Your term 'greyhound' style fits this well. Looks like a cargo bike, rides like a regular bike.

Kudos!
It seems to handle quite well. For the test it was balances left/right. With the fixed basket the weight didn’t swing with the turn of the wheel so the steering felt normal. Perfectly happy hands free.

My wife likes if from a distance… she’s not see the finished bike in person yet due to a trip to family in CA. We’ll have to dial in the seat/bar position once she’s home. We took the geometry from her favorite, a 1991 Specialize Stumpjumper Comp, but made a few adjustments for fit.

I’ve now joined her and we’ll be back after a short stay, and I’ll update some then.

Back