First ratrod bike build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first ratrod bike build.I got a bike in peices from a friend who has too much stuff. It is a 1987 murray monteray. I have no idea where to begin, but you gotta start somewhere right? Any ideas let me know Thanks!

105_1066.jpg

105_1065.jpg

105_1064.jpg

105_1061.jpg

Get a Photobucket account, it's free and once you upload photos you can copy the image code from there and paste it in here.

Gotta show some love for the Murrays! (see my Murray build, link in my signature).

Good luck!

yoothgeye said:
Get a Photobucket account, it's free and once you upload photos you can copy the image code from there and paste it in here.

Gotta show some love for the Murrays! (see my Murray build, link in my signature).

Good luck!

Thanks! Got some pics up. Your bike looks fun. How long did it take you to rust it?

HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN ACHIEVE.
GEDC0106.jpg
GOOD START...I LOVE THESE BIKES...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

LA666 said:
Thanks! Got some pics up. Your bike looks fun. How long did it take you to rust it?

I think it took about 34 years to rust it, took me a few hours when I first bought it to make the rust go away (this was before the build).

Jake Sensi said:
HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN ACHIEVE.
GEDC0106.jpg
GOOD START...I LOVE THESE BIKES...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Sweetride. Looks sick! Thanks. Im stripping paint right now!!!

Welcome to the build off! I am a newbie also,but it's a blast trying figure things out and making sparks fly! :mrgreen: looks like you have a great bike to start with!

Oneuglybike said:
Welcome to the build off! I am a newbie also,but it's a blast trying figure things out and making sparks fly! :mrgreen: looks like you have a great bike to start with!

Thanks!!

I stripped and sanded the paint on the frame, chain gaurd and forks ( ouch! panint stripper burns! :D ) Now time to go pick out some paint!!!

105_1069.jpg

105_1070.jpg

105_1072.jpg

gettin pimered!!!! Yeah im stoked!!!

105_1073.jpg

105_1074.jpg

yoothgeye said:
That's it, I officially hate all of you guys that used paint stripper actually that worked. :p

The forks were the hardest for me. I used Bulldog flexible bumper paint stripper because it was all i had. That stuff would eat through a building :)

LA666 said:
The forks were the hardest for me. I used Bulldog flexible bumper paint stripper because it was all i had. That stuff would eat through a building :)

My dad used this stuff before and you are right. He would buy body panels at the junk yard then bring them home and spray that stuff on, the paint would just melt off and he could see if there had been any body filler put in. The junk yard had a 30 day return policy and he could figure out real fast if he was taking it back or not.

All right guys and gals it is day two for me on my bike build and I am amazed what I found laying around. I found a aluminum desk thrown out in the top of an apartment dumpster and decided to make me some ape hangers.

105_1075.jpg

Then, since I dont have a welder,I cut the desk with an old peicer sawzall and tooks the remaining bolts out of the connections and twisted them to where I think I will want them and JB welded them overnight.

105_1078.jpg

Now that theyre together, I rummaged thru my garage and found some old red spray paint to paint them with!

105_1079.jpg

Who knows how this poor mans bike will ride when done. I dont even know how to put the forks back on!! I am hoping to keep expenses under 50 bucks.

Old desk apehangers is a wicked idea. Using actual garbage is extra ratty! :D Build looks great so far.

vfr86 said:
Old desk apehangers is a wicked idea. Using actual garbage is extra ratty! :D Build looks great so far.

Thanks man. Ill try and use more garbage if i can!! :mrgreen:

I just need some handlegrips and these handebars are ready to mount. They are a whopping 28 inches high!

105_1081.jpg

Awesome eye for seeing the bars in that desk! I think how much stuff have I thrown out that I may be able to use! :wink:

I haven't used jb weld, is it strong enough to hold your bars together on a rough road?

Its supposed to be really strong!! We will see!

Back