First Fresh Find Post In A Long Time

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've been watching a Craig's List Ad for this bike the last year and a half as it lowered $150 total in price. Even though I haven't seen the listing lately I had kept the contact info and gave the guy a ring - it was still for sale. We set up a time and got together today. We talked for 1 1/2 hours while I was freezing to death out in his garage standing there in shorts at below feezing temp but it was still a great time exchanging bike stories.

I'm guessing this is a 1938-39 (CWC of course) he picked up pretty much the way it shows in the pics. He changed the original pedals with bent shafts and added the 50's era CWC rear carrier then stripped all the paint and rattle canned it. Looks like a prefinished ratrod to me!
Even the Delta Falcon Headlight that was handlebar mounted he reinstalled on the front fender bolt after painting the bottom half. He recovered the seat and threw on some "implement grips". Respoked the wheels w/ double butted spokes like the originals and added a pair of brick pattern tires. I'll make a few minor parts changes but it suits me fine just the way it sits and it's ready to ride! You know what they say - "can't have too many CWCs!!! Robert

001_zps18f31618.jpg

002_zpsdc664555.jpg

003_zpsfa1a2589.jpg

004_zpsf729c944.jpg

005_zps94de2f4a.jpg

Awesome bike Robert. Congrats! The colors look very similar to the late 40s CWC bike I picked up in December. By the way... thanks for letting me run that one by you before I bought it. As always, I really appreciate you for sharing your knowledge on vintage bikes, primarily the CWCs! Have fun with your new ride!!!

Very nice find! :D I would have paid $150 for that all day :mrgreen:

Seeing this bike makes me want to build my own...that's real sharp! 8)

MBP said:
Awesome bike Robert. Congrats! The colors look very similar to the late 40s CWC bike I picked up in December. By the way... thanks for letting me run that one by you before I bought it. As always, I really appreciate you for sharing your knowledge on vintage bikes, primarily the CWCs! Have fun with your new ride!!!

Thanks MB - BTW, why don't I see your picks on Fresh Finds? Cmon, share a little! Thanks for all the nice comments everybody - this one was worth the wait! Robert

Road Master said:
Thanks MB - BTW, why don't I see your picks on Fresh Finds? Cmon, share a little! Thanks for all the nice comments everybody - this one was worth the wait! Robert

WHAT? :shock: I do post them Robert! I don't have a "gallery," but I do post pics. Mine must be getting lost in the mix. :(
I just posted one in Fresh Finds earlier tonight (WF Reproduction).

This is the one I was talking about (posted in the ID/Valuation section) It's not as cool as your fresh find, but it will be fun to work on. Thinking of rebuilding it as a Luxury Liner. Picked up an old Roadmaster badge from Ohdeebee, and some pitted chrome LL fenders from GTV. Much like the rest of my finds... the hunt for the remaining parts continues...
CWCphoto.jpg

I'm new around here, and I love checking out everybody's new goodies. Thanks to all for sharing them ! can someone please tell me...What's a CWC ? What's a WF reproduction ? Is there a glossary page somewhere on this site. posting.php?mode=reply&f=16&t=69785#
Thanks !
PJB

BlueFlame said:
I'm new around here, and I love checking out everybody's new goodies. Thanks to all for sharing them ! can someone please tell me...What's a CWC ? What's a WF reproduction ? Is there a glossary page somewhere on this site. posting.php?mode=reply&f=16&t=69785#
Thanks !
PJB
Welcome BlueFlame.
CWC = Cleveland Welding Company - they built frames for various models (Roadmaster, Western Flyer, Hiawatha, Hawthorne...)
WF Reproduction = 1990s reproduction (mediocre) of the vintage 1950's Western Flyer (Columbia built).

This site has a TON of knowledge on both. Sorry, I'm not an expert on either, so I'll leave the more detailed explanation to those who are.

Back