First Build - Need some feedback (and encouragement!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

So I bought a kit a while back to put on a stretch cruiser but it was just no end of struggle and in the end I don't think I could have gotten it chained up. So for an easier life I went to the parts bin and started building this.

I'm at the point of overwhelm at the length of time I seem to spend on every detail so thought I'd bounce this off you guys and see what you think.

It's:

- a pretty standard modern beach cruiser frame
- vintage 27" French touring bike wheels which I think look utterly bad ... squeezed in to this frame

My problem is like many most of the parts that come in the kit make me throw up in my mouth. In the works I have:

- vintage Triumph parts on the way for controls
- bought a welder ;-) Going to hang the seat out over the back rim and fabricate up an other brackets I need

The tank has been a MAJOR hurdle. I think the kit peanut one looks pretty horrible on here - just makes the whole thing look too cluttered. I picked up this very nice little vintage Briggs & Stratton tank and buffed it up but not sure what to do.

- It COULD go out over the back, but that's not been looking good in my mockups
- It COULD centre over the crossbar but the petcock is on the center line so that's hard unless it goes stupidly high, or slants about 15%.

So does what you see below look really dumb? The tank is one one side, and that part on the other side is the shell from a big old capacitor. I'm going to mount a cool old switch I found on top of that for the kill switch and also hide the coil in there too.

Suggestions / thoughts?
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Thanks

Keifer

I think that looks pretty good! The wheels might go well with that frame, but it'll depend on what direction you decide to go with paint and tires... The gum-wall and whitewall tires look a little odd together. You capacitor cover looks good, too.

Maybe you could transverse mount the tank through the space between the top tube and the cantilever tubes?

Looks sweet as is if you ask me gives it a unique look
Just hope you dont hit any potholes with 700c wheels at any speed O.O
Best of luck :)

Hello
I love the look!! I enjoy the fact that it is original and the offset tank looks awesome. I remember when I posted simple build I boldly stated I would build it in a few months and not spend over 300.00. :oops: I now know what the distant sound was I heard after posting said statement, it was all the members that have all ready been down this road chuckling. :lol: I have changed ideas bought and sold parts for the build and now realize I have a long way to go. I am very impressed with this site and have had a lot of help provided to me from members. I have also realized that this site has been directly responsible for helping me create a workable build and generate income to pay for it. (Hey I have just been prompted to click the donate button) any how I just want to say build with your heart enjoy the time spent building and it will turn out great. The ideas and parts you collect but do not use will be great for your second build, Motored or not. Most likely this will just be the start it has been for me :mrgreen: GOOD LUCK I like it !!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback and feeling like I have some new energy ;-) Responding to a couple of things these wheels really are 27" not 700C. They are almost the same, but 27" are a bit bigger and typically come from European and Japanese bikes in the 70s and 80s. I have a really nice pair of alloys with an unusual concave rim face. I do hope they hold up, but if not, so be it.. I'd like an excuse to build something with hub brakes, although I'm very much into this size.. and a maching pair of the whitewalls.

Not sure what I'm going to do about paint. I rode this cruiser with this primer look for a while and I think I'll get the job all finished up and running then strip it down again when I decide what color. I just SUCK at waiting to put things together again - so likely will wait for the summer so I can let it bake out in the sun a bit.

Here's some progress on the capacitor housing. I love this old push / pull switch. It's the headlight dimmer from what must be a pretty old car.. not sure the last time I saw a dimmer switch on the dash.

Thanks again.
photo.JPG

Keifer

I like it :D Just be careful you don't slip on sand with those skinny tires :wink: I seen a guy do that with no motor :shock:

thewump said:
I'm at the point of overwhelm at the length of time I seem to spend on every detail so thought I'd bounce this off you guys and see what you think.

I'm on my 4th custom e-motered bike build, I know exactly what you mean by this, when you build
something from scratch, i have found so many parts have to be fabricated, the planning imo
is the easy part, "i'll knock a bracket up here and a gusset or two in there etc etc..." easier
said than done, all too often minutes turn to hours, hours into days just working on one
pissy little part...So, don't be discouraged press on your not on your own, tiz what custom builds are
all about, the feeling of satisfaction when your finished and step back and take in what you've built is priceless...

I wish you well on your project, if you have any major issues on the motor side of things, motorbiycyling.com is
a dedicated motored bike forum with many experienced members willing and able to offer advice...

KiM

Oh yeah, I EASILY have well over 200 hours into mine. But I like to work in the garage so it's no big deal. Visualize what you want the end product to be and mentally separate the whole project into chapters and write down what needs to be done 1st, 2nd, etc. Then (this is the important part) have all the tools you need to do the work, and then just start.

Ahhh your bike is rad so far, I love those bars and the wheels fit so well. Looks sick. :)
I'm in the same boat tank wise, I dig the look of my bike a lot, but the stock tank is just so..UGH

Have you seen the Imperial board tracker tank? I think it would look great on your bike.

Anywho, keep it up man. :D

I do love that look of the tank behind the seat, but I'm planning on having a really low hang back seat and I'm not sure if that's going to work so well with that. Will play with the notion again though if I hit my knees on the current setup.

Thx

K

Nice looking concept. And, "click," the donate button, web sites do not come for free, plus, it would be a shame if this site suddenly went away due to lack of funds.

Latest posts

Back