First Build - need advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My first motorized build. I am using a Worksman bike. Here is where I am at right now. Before I go further I need to know if things look OK so far. Question: Is the angle the carb. is on OK??? I thought I read somewhere the carb. needs to be level. I enclosed some photos. Thanks for any advice.
100_4642.jpg

100_4645.jpg

Yes, it needs to be level to run the best. There is a float inside the carb and if it's at an angle it will run funny.

If you have access to a welder you best bet is to make plates on the frame to bolt the engine to. Then you can get rid of those tube clamps they come with stock. You'll be able to position the engine so it sits straight, get the best chain line and get the bar level all at the same time. Plus, it looks clean.

We did this on my buddies.

andydelete.jpg

andydelete1.jpg

Thanks guys for the advice. I dont have a welder (but it is on the wish list) I think changing the pipe would be the best. I think I have the motor in a good position as far as the chain is concerned. I dont think I would have room for permanent brackets as the Worksman frames are very tight for these motors. I will post more when I get this figured out. Back to the drawing board!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly wouldn't worry about the angle of the carb in your case. The angle does not look extreme enough to affect the carb. I have built 5 of these bikes and many of the carbs on my bikes are at that angle or a greater angle. I would worry more about that carb, the cns carb is full of problems, Id recommend getting a good nt carb from ebay (under 15$ with shipping). Either way good luck -Ethan

OK thanks Ethan. I have been looking at many photos of Worksman with engines and see several with more extreme angles on the carb than mine. When you say nt carb - is that the name of the carb I shuold look for? Are there several types? Thanks for the help. I think I am going try with the carb at this angle and see how she runs.

The carbs will probably work ok at the current angle, that stuff sloshes all over whenever you change speed or direction. It looks like moving the front engine mount up the down tube a few inches would improve the angle. Make a card board rear mount and take it to a local sheet metal shop for replication, if necessary. I believe it would also make the engine better fill the space, thus making it appear larger. 8) :wink:

Latest posts

Back