First build, Mint Tulip.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some of these pics up in my intro post, but i thought i should start a build thread for some ongoing updates. I mountain biked a lot as a kid, but I haven't been on a bike regularly in probably 15 years. My wife and I were looking for some new things to do outdoors, and we both found out that the other loved to bike as a youngster. So off to craigslist, youtube, and every other dark corner of the internet I went.

We could have just bought some bikes from wally world and called it done, but where is the personalization and fun in that? I've had a few older cars, and a few motorcycles that I've had and tinkered with, so our bikes had to be cool. Chopped, painted, modded, who knows? I always wanted a lowrider, so this is my first steps into that direction.

After we decided on starting with some cruisers for flat land riding, I picked up a couple beater Huffys on craigslist. Seats, bars, chainrings, and all sorts of other new parts have started arriving in the mail. I am doing my wifes bike first, and this thread will be dedicated to that bike.

Starting the teardown!

YYiQCWg.jpg

It was actually a good thing I did a tear down on this one. Someone had tried to take it apart, and stripped the bolt on one side of the bottom bracket. I don't think they knew it was reverse threaded...

And now to the sanding and trying to fix all the abuse done by the previous owner.

uPYcC6p.jpg

Up into my garage/spray area. I really need to clean, and curtain off more of my garage when I do this. Clean up is a pain.

YnL3y1H.jpg

And the base coats. A mint/turquoise that my wife picked out.

y4AWsXE.jpg

7fbrVX1.jpg

Then a couple light coats of pearl mist, so that it pops in the sunshine. I apologize for my phone pictures. Don't have a nice camera yet.

9vgawbB.jpg

JqhNbff.jpg

And today I'm putting clear. The crank, sprocket, stem, and grips are going to be white. I'm thinking about painting the spokes white, and the rims the same mint. Also going to go with white or cream tires eventually. Hopefully I'll have some shiny clear coat pictures tomorrow. Waiting for some parts for the reassembly, which will be good for the clear to cure hopefully.

And then on to my bike! I appreciate all comments and suggestions as I am very new to this. I have already gained so much knowledge from this site, glad to be here!

Put the clear on. Man, I've already learned a lot on this build. I did not do enough prep work on a few areas, there were some touch up spots that I did not let dry between coats, and some finger marks that got put on between coats that wrinkled the clear.Luckily all a pretty small, or in somewhat inconspicuous areas. I'm not 100% happy with it, but for my first time I think it is decent enough. And my wife loves it way more than the grey/rootbeer color it was.

I thought I had sanded the bad areas well enough. Next time I'm just going to strip any really bad areas and bondo it smooth. Most of the paint was good on this frame though, so I didn't want to strip. This is all done with rattle cans.Now I'm just waiting on parts and letting the clear coat cure before I put it all back together.

Phone pictures don't really show it, but here they are.

Outside light...

g0ogoyW.jpg

Inside light...

sphfEw0.jpg

Bars...

Zfvpo0C.jpg

Mail call today was only a couple of sprockets. I'm waiting on a bottom bracket and a crank to finish this one. So I wanted to mock it up and see what it was going to look like. Thought I could put a couple things together. Sigh. My mistake.

b9ACB6u.jpg

I was going to tear it apart and sand it and repaint, but the wife wants it riding. These are $40 craigslist bikes that are going to be ridden a ton, so perfection isnt necessary I suppose. I think I'll get some matching fingernail polish and touch it up when she's not looking though....for my sanity.

Everything else doesn't look too bad though. Difference from original paint.....

oJu8s10.jpg

In the back corner of my garage.

TU6KKbf.jpg

Bars, stem, grips.

61uO9Uc.jpg

im liking that mint pearl color,its subtle but pops nicely!:cool2: you might try College Cyclery on Virginia for your tires and misc parts. they had a decent selection last time I was there.

im liking that mint pearl color,its subtle but pops nicely!:cool2: you might try College Cyclery on Virginia for your tires and misc parts. they had a decent selection last time I was there.
Thanks! I didnt even know college cyclery existed haha.
That mint look awesome with the crisp white!

Luke.
Thanks! I like the look, and my wife loves it so thats all that matters! I cant wait for the white tires. We are probably gonna ride those white walls down first though, so it will be a little while.

Some freehand spraying.....shhhhh nothing ever happened here....

F1wy33t.jpg

And the sprocket. Don't know how the paint will hold up, but I gave it a good thick coat of clear as well. We shall see.

yaipWR7.jpg

All done except the pedals, which arent due until end of next week. We have a little family ride tomorrow, so it will roll with the old throwaways.

RtW4TkE.jpg

s1sRX9w.jpg

There are some finish issues im not happy with but i have $87 into this build so....

And the "headbadge".

yUSkoa0.jpg

The sprocket i put on is 36 tooth. We have quite a bit of topography here and we are interested in the slow ride anyway. Pedals so nice now.

Back