First build: "Church Rat"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I'd get an early start on my build thread, so here it is. This is my first foray into vintage bikes, as well as "rat rodding" anything. I've always loved the style, but never had an appropriate project to try my hand for myself. Until, that is, my neighbor had a tag sale. I snagged this AMF for $20, immediately walked it home and tore it apart, unsure what my plans for it were.

I was a little pressed for time while tearing the bike down, so I didn't have much time to scope it out or appreciate any of the details of the craftsmanship. I didn't notice how few actual welds were used to build the frame, or how much style the bike has. Today (06-23-2012) I had some time to kill before doing some yard work, so I took the frame down from the rafters and took a few more pictures and really stood back and appreciated everything the bike has to offer. I'm in love.

Originally, I was thinking of painting the bike in a two-tone turquoise and cream, like a 1950's Chevy Bel Air. Then, the more I thought about it (and the more I looked around this awesome site), the more my mind changed and it was decided: This bike is going to be a rat.

Here are the initial pictures I took:

DayOne1.jpg

DayOne3.jpg

DayOne2.jpg

DayOne6.jpg

And after the teardown:

DayOne4.jpg

DayOne5.jpg

The original head badge is missing, and the original owner (whom my father-in-law happens to know) added a small pendant in it's place. I don't have a good pic of the pendant, but it looks just like this:

StChristophermedal.jpg

Now, I'm not a religious man, but I dig that medallion; and it will be returning to the bike once I'm done with it.

The original owner also added this cool little license plate to the rear fender:

LicensePlate.jpg

BB shell is in nice shape:

BB-1.jpg

I've never seen a stem built like this before, very cool piece of craftsmanship right here if you ask me. The chrome was pitted but some WD-40 and Scotch-Brite took care of it nicely:

Stem-1.jpg

Frame sticker (not sure how I missed this, but seeing it earlier may have prevented me from needing to post a thread in the "I.D." section. "AMF 2016 A":

Sticker-1.jpg

And the serial number, stamped into the dropout. I love how the bike was built, seeing the way the dropouts are joined to the seat stays and chain stays is beautiful:

Serial.jpg

A lot of the chrome still needs work, almost all of the fender runners are bent or tweaked and will need straightening, but all of the bearings and races are in remarkable condition. I'll only be cleaning them and re-packing them with fresh grease, but honestly; they don't even need that. Even the chain is still free and flows freely, I've got that soaking and will clean it up to get a better feel of whether or not a replacement is needed; but I don't think it will be. I want to keep as much of this bike as it was when I got it rather than replace a ton of stuff.

Obviously the tires are shot, so I'm replacing them with 26"x1.75 whitewalls. The rim strips disintegrated when I did so much as look at them, and the tubes had slow leaks, so they're being replaced as well. My new goodies should show up early next week.

Other than that, I won't go into details on the build, I'll let the future pics speak for themselves. I hope you all have as much fun watching this build as (I hope) I'm going to have doing it. Cheers!

Re: My FIRST rat!

Cool bike, and welcome to the world of rat rodding. Here's a tip- use #0000 steel wool instead of Scotchbrite. It will do the same job but it won't leave any scratches. Can't wait to see this one finished.

That's going to be a great rat! I used a frame like that, only a little newer on a build off here. I like the laid back angles on those frames.

Peatbog said:
That is a cool bike. If you started after May 1 and plan to finish before August, you could put this in the Build Off section.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a set plan to get it done by a specific time, but if it's done by August I may just have to enter it!

ruddigger said:
The stem is a Wald stem, I'm pretty sure. I have one of those on a build as well.

"Wald" eh? Never heard of 'em. It's a cool piece, really shows how much differently stuff was made back in the day.

bmxerpete said:
Cool bike, and welcome to the world of rat rodding. Here's a tip- use #0000 steel wool instead of Scotchbrite. It will do the same job but it won't leave any scratches. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for that tip too. I'm excited to get it done, I hope I can bring the images in my head to fruition.

Wildcat said:
That's going to be a great rat! I used a frame like that, only a little newer on a build off here. I like the laid back angles on those frames.

Thanks, I hope so! I did a quick mock-up of some stuff I'm thinking of trying, and "laid back" definitely fits. The angles and curves on the frame just scream style, yet they're so versatile too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Neighbor! I saw that plate and thought you might be from around here. I'm just a stones throw from Greenfield.

highship said:
Hey Neighbor! I saw that plate and thought you might be from around here. I'm just a stones throw from Greenfield.

Cool! I'm not actually in Greenfield, but this bike apparently was at some point in time. I'm a little further south than that.

That means your even closer then I thought. I guess it would be a long stones throw but I'm right next to Northampton.

highship said:
That means your even closer then I thought. I guess it would be a long stones throw but I'm right next to Northampton.

Haha, me too, Hatfield to be exact.

Little update on the build today, I finished the tear down and was finally able to remove the stem. The wedge is in good shape and so is the steer tube. Everything looks good! I found that the rear wheel has a big flat spot in it and also a pretty major s-curve to it, not sure how I want to go about dealing with it.

To take my mind off the wheel, I did a quick mock up to play with different lines and layouts. I spun the stem 180°, and installed the bars backwards and upside down. I like how it looks, not sure how it'll ride though. I also slammed the seat as low as it will go with stock parts, but it just isn't quite low enough ;)

I have a few ideas on how to drop the seat another 2 inches and move it back 4 or 5, have to wait and see. Ah, decisions...

32896227-cfc1-e4b2.jpg

32896227-cfd1-df97.jpg

32896227-d04d-c6b1.jpg

nice build so far is it me or does the fork look a lil bent ?? looks a clean build and frame to start with...

off to a great start .. good bike to start with also... now if only that tag on the fender said cornfield county.. and the
number to call is br549 :lol:

jaysmo said:
nice build so far is it me or does the fork look a lil bent ?? looks a clean build and frame to start with...

It is, in fact, bent. Only one leg, and I did my best to straighten it but just can't get it perfect. Not sure how I'll remedy that yet either.

Henry morgan said:
off to a great start .. good bike to start with also... now if only that tag on the fender said cornfield county.. and the
number to call is br549 :lol:

I'm afraid your comment about the plate went straight over my head...but thanks!

Worked into the night lastnight, got the wheels broken down, had to cut all the spokes as some of the nipples were seized to the spokes. Did the same on a set of donor wheels I've had kicking around. Also received a sweet Komet Super from Ratfink1962 in the mail (thanks again!) and modded a round red reflector which turned out great, I'm excited about it.

Old an' grubby:

06-30-2012OldHub.jpg

Shiny and clean:

06-30-2012NewHub.jpg

Donor hoops from an old Trek Mountain Track 850:

06-30-2012DonorHoops.jpg

Old brass nipples, I'd like to reuse these:

06-30-2012OldNipples.jpg

Scored this great leather bag from a junk collector:

06-30-2012LeatherBag.jpg

As well as this great old hammer and curvy cool wrench. (These may or may not be used on the bike):

06-30-2012HammerWrench.jpg

The guy had the type of garage and shed that a pack rat like myself could spend all day in, and want to take it all home.

Here's my little round reflector:

06-30-2012Reflector1.jpg

06-30-2012Reflector2.jpg

06-30-2012Reflector3.jpg

06-30-2012Reflector4.jpg

Also did some more mock ups today and finally made up my mind on the bike. Got some cutting and fabrication to do, hopefully next weekend I'll be able to get a jump on that.

Here's what I'm planning on:

Gonna cut the fenders, but keep their original pointed shape:

06-30-2012FrontFenderHeadOn.jpg

06-30-2012FrontFenderSide.jpg

And I figured out a great way to mount the seat just where I want it:

06-30-2012SeatDetail.jpg

06-30-2012SeatSide.jpg

Got some real work done on the bike today, finally got to cutting! I did feel a little bad about cutting up this old classic, but you do what you gotta do.

First cut: Shortening the seat tube:

07-04-2012SeatTubeCut.jpg

Next up was the seat post:

07-04-2012SeatpostCut.jpg

Then came the rear fender, just a rough cut. I shaped it later on.

07-04-2012RearFenderFirstCut.jpg

I figured out the perfect way to reconfigure the seat, so I went ahead and removed the rails altogether and changed up the piece that connects the springs to each other. That connector piece will be welded to the frame truss, just above the "V" groove where the fender goes.

07-04-2012SeatReconfigured.jpg

Here's the completed rear fender, shaped to a point just like the original (only a touch more pointy):

07-04-2012RearFenderCutAssembled.jpg

I also scrounged up a little chunk of aluminum that I'll be machining into something awesome at work...

07-03-2012HeadlightRetrofitMaterial.jpg

...for which I also bought some more goodies. That's about it for now :D

Got more work done on the bike today. So psyched for this to be done, it's fun working on but I can't wait to go for that maiden voyage.

Drew/traced the license plate mount onto a piece of .06" 6061-T6 Aluminum sheet, don't know when I'll be able to cut it out, but the tab will be getting bent 90* and the plate will hang from the right-side rear dropout.

07-07-2012LicensePlate.jpg

My sweet new headlight from Snarehead123 showed up in the mail today. I'll be doing my own LED conversion on the light and I'll mount it down low on the fork, probably off the left-hand side of the axle.

07-07-2012Headlight.jpg

Leather bag on the bars, this will hold the battery for the lights (also decided against the stem flip, and put it back the "right" way). I'll be grounding the negative terminal to the head tube and I'll try my hardest to run the positive wire through the frame so there's no visible wire. We'll see how that goes.

07-07-2012BarsBag-1.jpg

Everything's better with a bottle opener! Once the frame is painted up, I'll rivet the leather straps to the frame.

07-07-2012BottleOpener.jpg

Made my own "bullet" valve stem caps, using some nylon caps and some old shell casings. (FWIW, the shell casings were from my first trip out shooting with a buddy, I was shooting his Smith & Wesson .45 and on my first two shots, the casings went straight up into the air. The first one hit me on the head, the second one landed in the pit of my elbow and burned me, so I grabbed them. Finally have a fun use for them).

07-07-2012ValveCap1.jpg

07-07-2012ValveCap2.jpg

07-07-2012ValveCap3.jpg

07-07-2012ValveCap4.jpg

And, now, my personal favorite:

07-07-2012BrakeLever.jpg

The old ball-peen hammer is going to serve as the front brake lever. I'll be having the Komet Super coaster brake hub from Rattfink1962 laced into the front wheel, then take a short section of chain and pin one end of it to the end of the metal bar the hammer is attached to. The chain will then go around the cog on the front hub, and the other end of the chain will be attached to an extension spring, which will be attached to the fork. I know I've seen guys here do it, and that's where I got the idea from, and I apologize but I cannot remember their names!

I went with a ball-peen hammer to pay homage to the old school chopper guys, who kept a hammer hanging on the side of their motorcycles for when an a-hole driver cut them off in traffic. Called a "Traffic Cop", I love the idea of it and I figured I'd put my own twist on it, but make it more functional as part of the bike.

I pieced it all together and propped up the tires into the frame (no wheels to set in there) and IMHO, it looks awesome. The hammer sticks far enough out to the side to still allow a good amount of clearance for steering, and it will fall just below the handlebar so reaching for it will be comfortable. I love how the rear fender and seat mounting came out, the rear end of this bike really looks menacing when it's all put together. Pretty excited for paint too, can't wait 'til I'm ready to grab the cans!

Back