First attempt of recovering my leather seat....not to shabby

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to recover my western flyer super's seat for a bit but didn't have the leather to do it and couldn't find it local but this weekend I picked some up from a shoe repair shop about 60 miles out of town. I had allready decided what thickness of leather I would use after seeing a few threads but when I got to the shop he said what I wanted to use would be too thin...Now I have been tinkering with these bikes for quite a few years and I know by removing the remnants of the previous seat the aprox of the leather thickness the original had. So he suggested a hide that was so thick I couldn't imagine shaping it with any ease....SO I went with a lesser thicknes but not much, he cut the hide 12 inches high by allmost 3 feet long for 13 dollars...Now driving home I would glance back at the leather piece in my back seat thinking about whether I made a big mistake buying the leather to thick and how angry I was gonna be if it didnt work out seeing how it was a 120 mile round trip...anyways....I made it home soaked the leather in warm water used a thin pad and shaped the leather with much aggression and here is the result I had...Needs sealer but its done...I have another Im doing and im staining the leather mahogany before I shape it....Thanks for all the tips and pics from previous posts!!! Also when I went to shape the leather there was a small tear in it so I positioned it near the front right where most bikes get damage before I shaped it...It gives it character Im not into perfect!

P1070732.jpg

P1070733.jpg

P1070734.jpg

P1070735.jpg

P1070743.jpg

man that looks great! I am gonna give it a whirl now!! :roll:

I normally make a mess of gluing stuff but you've inspired me! now to find a cheap leather jacket....

I did another one today and posted the pics its pan wasn't in the greatest of shape but it looks good!! Really thick leather. Thanks I hope they hold up for awhile we will see.

I must say that the seat looks great. really nice job for the first time.
120 miles round trip for leather??? Wow. I always thought it was acessable easily everywhere. I must be spoiled then i guess since my best friend has his own leather shop and he lives at the apt. right next door to me. we share the basement (mancave) and that is where we both end up making things...besides a big mess.

Meeba said:
I must say that the seat looks great. really nice job for the first time.
120 miles round trip for leather??? Wow. I always thought it was acessable easily everywhere. I must be spoiled then i guess since my best friend has his own leather shop and he lives at the apt. right next door to me. we share the basement (mancave) and that is where we both end up making things...besides a big mess.

Im not sure I could of found some leather locally because of where Im at it wasnt likely. I called for two days and scoured the internet. The guy I talked to locally basically told me good luck on finding any leather here. He told me about the guy 60 miles out. Next time im up there I will stock up on leather so it will be my last trip. I do work up that way so maybe I can pick it up and kill two birds with one stone. I found places on the internet but I wanted to pick it up in person.

You did a nice job, especially for your first one. I covered a StingRay seat with leather and padded it up real good. Much nicer to sit on than the original. I live near Amish country and there are leather shops all over the place. Cheap, too. Gary
DSC03858.jpg

B607 said:
You did a nice job, especially for your first one. I covered a StingRay seat with leather and padded it up real good. Much nicer to sit on than the original. I live near Amish country and there are leather shops all over the place. Cheap, too. Gary
DSC03858.jpg

Thanks! That seat you did looks cherry!!!

Going to get my foam and vinyl today. I'm going to try memory foam. I'll let you know how it goes.

I hope mine looks half as good as the ones you guys did!

Back