First attempt at copper leaf gilding

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little oldschool leaf work on some steel I had and hung it in the frame, Let me know what cha think. 8) Jay
febandmarch2010058.jpg

karfer67 said:
do tell how you did it. that is one skill i want to learn
Actually pretty easy, I got the supplys at Michaels craft store, scuffed a piece of steel down after cutting it to shape and cleared it. Next you draw whatever design you want on the metal and paint this liquid glue where you want the leafing to stick. Then all you do is lay the leafs down onto the piece and rub it on there until all the excess comes off. Then I used a sock on my finger and pressed and twisted the swirls into it after it dried for about an hour. Outlined it with black paint marker. Done! There are some pretty good how to videos on youtube on gold leafing. Check it out, Its fun!

Jayman said:
karfer67 said:
Actually pretty easy, I got the supplys at Michaels craft store, scuffed a piece of steel down after cutting it to shape and cleared it. Next you draw whatever design you want on the metal and paint this liquid glue where you want the leafing to stick. Then all you do is lay the leafs down onto the piece and rub it on there until all the excess comes off. Then I used a sock on my finger and pressed and twisted the swirls into it after it dried for about an hour. Outlined it with black paint marker. Done! There are some pretty good how to videos on youtube on gold leafing. Check it out, Its fun!

when appling leaf, its best to use a static brush to pick up/apply the leaf.

icyuod2 said:
Jayman said:
karfer67 said:

when appling leaf, its best to use a static brush to pick up/apply the leaf.
I just used a regular paint brush to brush away the extra leaf, but that might work good too.

Back