Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/3 Tank Feathers and Flames

Painted up the seat pan, and headed inside and decided I needed to make a first pass at the tank feather and flame detail.
This isn't to scale, but I just wanted to try it out. Not quite happy with it yet. I think that I loaded up too many feathers and flames. It's too jumbled on this first pass. What do y'all think?

The Renaissance Man said:
Great concept on the fire wings! I agree, less is more. 8)

Cool GT also! :D

I have had this general ideal ever since I got the Columbia wing tank, but I have never put pencil to paper on it until tonight.
Here is attempt number two.

Number two looks better

MazdaFlyer said:
Number two looks better

Yeah, but still not there yet. After looking at another pick of a painted wing tank (loco joes), I decided that my painted area was proportionally too long.
columbia2.jpg

Shortened it a bit and just put one set of feathers and one set of flames.

I agree. 1 row of each looks the best.
:D

Thanks for the feedback guys. Feel free to tell me if it looks like crap too. :D

kingfish254 said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Feel free to tell me if it looks like crap too. :D
I've got just the place for it if you think it does. :lol: :mrgreen:
100_5352_zpsa3bff043.jpg

What's that bike part doing on top of a toilet seat? :p

Speaking of seats. The seat pan worked perfectly to skin the bottom of my Flexy saddle.
WP_002255_zpsec4c64fc.jpg

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/4 Black Fenders+ FireWing Tank

Worked more on the FireWing tank graphics. I figured what I was doing wrong. The Fire should come before the Wing. I had it backwards. Actually the trailing edges of the desing in the Columbia tank aleady have a feather like shape to them, so the bike told me what to do.
Also, I have been planning for a while to have the FireWing lettering on the guard mimic the Firestone script. So why not use the Firestone "F" badge on the tank.

Then I put the black fenders on (I hadn't mounted them since I painted them), and I rolled it outside for some pics. Also the first time with pics of the chrome bars.

Looking good! :D Those fenders are sweet! 8)

Hey bud,
Saw your text yesterday, but I've got horrible cell reception on the island.

Anyway, I really like the fire-into-wing graphic and the Firestone 'F' is a winner!
Any thoughts of bringing the cream accent color onto the tips of the fenders?

Build on brother!
Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks guys. Now I just have to execute the tank graphics with something more permanent that masking tape and markers.

SR69, I like how well the flat black works on the fenders too.

Tank, I'm actually a little torn about adding any cream on the front of the fender. I kinda like it like it is. That may change once I mimic some of the tank graphic onto the headlight.

Started sanding the tank for paint. I had planned on leaving the rusty patina on the non sanded part.
QUESTION? - I still plan to paint the sanded part. Should I leave the rusty part A) Rusty. B) Sanded Bare Metal with oil, C) Painted another color.

kingfish254 said:
Started sanding the tank for paint. I had planned on leaving the rusty patina on the non sanded part.
QUESTION? - I still plan to paint the sanded part. Should I leave the rusty part A) Rusty. B) Sanded Bare Metal with oil, C) Painted another color.

I love RUST....

Momma JATS

Back