Firestone 500(New Look)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I keep it the same or paint it flat black?

• Same

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Paint Flat Black

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So we were cruising on the motorcycle when I seen an old bike for sale. It was a Firestone 500. :mrgreen: The guy wanted $25.00 for it :shock: I asked him if he would take $15 for it but he said no :x :cry: Anyway I bought it for $20 :mrgreen: I don't think the front fender is correct :cry: And its been repainted :cry: I was wondering if I should paint it flat black or keep it the same :?:
011qa.jpg

012tq.jpg

Re: Firestone 500

66olds98 said:
And by "same" you mean leave it like it is? Cuz it looks good as is
Yes I mean keep it as is :mrgreen: Sorry if I was unclear :oops:

Since it's already been repainted before, I'd make sure the decal on the seat tube remains and give it a fresh flat black paint job. You need to tear it down anyway to grease the bearings. looks like the chain guard might not be original either. You could also go back to the original color. The inside of the forks will show that.

Looks like the chain guard and front fender are off an English bike. I like it as is though, and most of those I've seen were black w/red tank & guard. -Adam

You could try to find a better match on the fenders and a better fit on the guard. Personally, I would probably run it without them. Paint I could go either way. You could leave it alone, or just touch up the "patinaed" area with some rattle black (what I would do), or completely strip it, grind off all the rust, and do your own custom masking job. It's a cool bike and a bargain no matter how you decide to go with it. 8) :wink:

I decided to keep it as is :D But I changed the handlebars to ape hangers to make it look more like a rat rod :mrgreen: Now all I need are bulbs :D What do you think :p
001oq.jpg

002oc.jpg

003sjn.jpg

004ox.jpg

I don't think so :lol: :lol:
Gold Street Customs said:
I think you should sell it to me for $25 , you make a profit and so much less stress.... :wink:

just get some cheap torches and take the parabolic reflectors and bulbs out- then stick them in. alternatively get some LEDs and use them- better light, more efficient. get some autosol on that lamp reflector to get that rust off.

*torch=flashlight

that would look so much better flat black. i'm not into rusty paint chipped bikes for the sake of being rusty and paint chipped.
its one thing to not wanna de-value the bike by removing its original paint, but heck its been repainted once already.

to me paint is a structural part of the frame. new paint will prevent a bike from rusting. if its not rusting its not rotting, and if its not rotting, you'll be able to enjoy it for years to come.

i noticed your valve stems are on mean angles. did you install em that way or did it happen after the fact? the reason i ask, i had a old hardened set of tires that kept slipping on the rims. no matter how many times i ajusted them, after riding they always looked twisted.
had to replace the tires to fix the problem.

ya might have to do the same, that rear stem looks like its ready to be torn off.

The bike looks good with the apes. I would rotate the seat mount to adjust the seat back a couple inches, but that's just me. If any of the chips are down to bare metal, maybe you could use a little touchup paint to stop any rust.

But it's good just as it sits. I forgot to ask if you had opened up the tank to see the condition of the battery housing, and of course, to see if some one had stashed some cash in there.

I checked the tank and the condition was alright :roll: Sadly no money was in there :mrgreen: :lol:
Wildcat said:
The bike looks good with the apes. I would rotate the seat mount to adjust the seat back a couple inches, but that's just me. If any of the chips are down to bare metal, maybe you could use a little touchup paint to stop any rust.

But it's good just as it sits. I forgot to ask if you had opened up the tank to see the condition of the battery housing, and of course, to see if some one had stashed some cash in there.

I got it that way :D The only thing I did was clean it up and put the apes on :p

icyuod2 said:
that would look so much better flat black. i'm not into rusty paint chipped bikes for the sake of being rusty and paint chipped.
its one thing to not wanna de-value the bike by removing its original paint, but h*** its been repainted once already.

to me paint is a structural part of the frame. new paint will prevent a bike from rusting. if its not rusting its not rotting, and if its not rotting, you'll be able to enjoy it for years to come.

i noticed your valve stems are on mean angles. did you install em that way or did it happen after the fact? the reason i ask, i had a old hardened set of tires that kept slipping on the rims. no matter how many times i ajusted them, after riding they always looked twisted.
had to replace the tires to fix the problem.

ya might have to do the same, that rear stem looks like its ready to be torn off.

man how do i vote?!
paint that sh%t flat black for sure!
its not the og paint anyways and its gonna look killer against that metallic red tank

Back